Eye Care Community
Macular hole

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Macular hole

It has been 5 weeks that I have surgery to repair a macular hole in my left eye. Not sure how I survive the first 2 weeks of maintaining the face down position but somehow I did. One side of my eye is still red and I was told it was because of the stitches. My vision in that eye is blurry as if there is a white film over it and the gas bubble remains, albeit shrinking very slowly. Are all these conditions normal and can anyone with similar experience tell me more on what to expect? Will the redness in my eye disappear?

Thanks.
I just had Vitrectomy surgery for a macular hole as well on July 12, 2007. It is about 7 weeks post op and I still have a little bit of gas in the eye. I am scheduled to visit DR in 4 days and hopefully will be given red light to fly in about 9 days from today!
Vision is getting better as the bubble shrinks and there is a little dark patch where the tear was repaired. Do NOT lie on your back until all of the gas bubble is gone! That is what causes the need for cataract surgery within a year.
Hopethis helps
Winterpeg
Hello vancouver   Macular hole surgery is a bear, no doubt about it. The healing is slow and it may be 4-6 months for your eye to recover to its maximum level (sometimes even longer). Eventually the redness from the surgery does clear. Again you may be looking at 8-12 weeks on that.

JCH III MD Eye Physician and Surgeon
I had surgery on the 2nd. It was not a stitch surgery it was a laser that was involved. They also found a rip on my left retina and repaired that too. I was told that I only had to be in the face down postion for the first five days. Then after that I could resume my normal daily activities. Well, it is the 10th of June and the redness has been gone for 3 days now, but the bubble it still there. I can not drive, do my work. My question is what can I do to get the bubble to go away. I am lossing business and my livelihood because I can not leave the house. posted June 10, 2010
I had macular hole surgery nearly 3 weeks ago,  the surgery was pain free however at this point I am having bouts of vertigo  and the  gas bubble causes double vision . The gas bubble will remain in my eye for another 3 weeks I am told.  However  I am legally allowed to drive  with vision in one eye  but my vision is so impaired at present I would not trust the ability to drive safely. I have found that covering the affected eye with a pad behind my glasses occasionally when shopping  or using the computer etc  does help relieve the affect of the gas bubble to my vision  as my vision is clear using my  one 'good' eye.  I hope this helps .