Eye Care Community
Macular problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Macular problems?

I went to get a check-up yesterday with a retinal specialist. After a thorough dilated eye exam things seems to be going well. However, I explained to the doctor that when I do near tasks, like reading, things seem to go really faint. Also, sometimes my vision seems a bit hazy like looking through a thin veil of fog. The doctor was at a loss, because the exam did not show any signs of macular problems. So given my symptoms the doctor gave me some Bausch & Laumb Preservision Eye vitamins with lutein and told me to take them. My question: Is it possible to have macular problems, but have no clinical findings of such? Should I have asked for an OCT? Thanks.
Hi Berrywoo.

Hope you are ok.  

I was wondering about the vitamins your doctor gave you.  Ive been trying to ask for good viatmins to take and I heard about Lutien.  Can you share the name of those vitamins your doctor gave you so I can look it up and see if I could take them myself?  Where could one get these vitamins and how often did he say you could take it?  I would really appreciate it.

I hope and pray you will be ok.  Im here.  Your friend...Corks100....

Thanks again.
I'm only knowledgeable about the specific macular condition from which I suffer (i.e., damage to the macular tissue secondary to an epiretinal membrane), but the answer to your question is YES, a dilated exam may not be sufficient to diagnose macular problems.  In my case, even a Spectralis OCT cannot reveal the underlying photoreceptor configuration in the macular tissue.  But OCT and a flurorescein angiogram might be useful diagnostic tools in your case.

I've learned through personal experience that retinal specialists vary considerably in terms of their diagnostic ability and surgical skills.  Some retinal specialists are highly skilled at treating particular retinal conditions (but not all retinal problems.)  If the doctor you saw "was at a loss" and sent you home with eye vitamins, please get another opinion from a different retinal specialist.

Bausch & Lomb makes two different types of eye vitamins with lutein.  Both are available without prescription at most drug stores.  PreserVision with lutein (2-per-day soft gels) is marketed "to slow the progression of moderate to advanced age-related macular degeneration."  Ocuvite with lutein (1-per-day soft gel) is targeted to adults 50+ who are at higher risk for macular degeneration because it runs in their family.  Check online for a money-off manufacturer's coupon before you buy.  Both types of eye vitamins are also made by manufacturers other than Bausch & Lomb.

I'm currently recovering from a second procedure to peel the same ERM, and I've been taking PreserVision with lutein for a few months (although I don't have macular degeneration myself or in my family history.)  Taking it was my idea (at least I could do something that might be helpful), but my retinal specialist supports it.
Thanks. I see two different retinal specialists (one at a well known teaching hospital) and both have indicated that everything seems to be going well (despite my symptoms). I really can't afford to see a third doctor (I'm pretty sure I've maxed out my financial assistance/charity options).
My concern is that an OCT and/or FA wouldn't show anything either.  
Oh well, I'll just have to hope that things don't worsen.

corks100,
take jodiej's recommendations on the vitamins. You can generally find them at any drug store or big box chains like walmart and target.