Eye Care Expert Forum
Macular ripple

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Macular ripple
I have been diagnosed with macular ripple in each eye.  One worse than the other. My eyesignt with glasses is not bad.  I am 65 years old.  I have been given a grid with a pinpoint dot in the middle to check if the lines on the grid get "wavy."  The optomotrist asked me to return in one year or those grid lines get wavy.  What is a macular ripple?  Is it as serious as macular degeneration?  Is it only going to get worse?  Is there any treatment?
It's usually due to a membrane that develops over the macula and can range from very mild to seriously affecting vision.  You should be monitored by a retina specialist for this and not by an optometrist.  Find one at www.aao.org.  If the vision is still good, likely not much to worry about at this point.  You should see a retina specialist though to make sure the right diagnosis is made.

HV
Thank you for your quick reply. I will ask the optometrist for a referral to a retina specialist.  My health plan requires a referral to a specialist.  Thanks again
You may need the referral from your primary care specialist rather than the optometrist but each insurance company is different.  Ask and proceed.

HV