Many problems with Crystalens
After much stress in the decision process, I'm going to ask my surgeon to go ahead and exchange the Crystalens in my left (dominant) eye for the ReStor, which was at his suggestion. I have put it off because I have such good intermediate vision in that eye, but that's really all it has going for it. I continue to feel fuzzy-eyed when I am in any space larger than my office cubicle. Any larger area   just makes me uncomfortable because of the cloudiness/blurriness in my left eye. My guess is that this is because my left eye is trying to see distance and the Crystalens did not accommodate for that. The ReStor that my doctor suggested using would be "calibrated" (don't know if that's a proper medical term) for arm's length close vision with a good distance vision.

At this point, I don't care if I have to wear glasses all the time. I'm used to wearing progressives. I just want to end the uncomfortable feeling in my left eye and be able to see. It doesn't even feel right when I blink. But the ReStor in the right eye has felt comfortable from day one.

The Crystalens has been in for 9-1/2 weeks. Any comments are appreciated. I just think I am using up precious time hoping that the Crystalens will start working right.

Thanks,
jefields
There is a video concerning this. If you cut and paste

"Hard Sell Crystalens™, ReZoom™ & ReSTOR™ "

into either Goggle or the youtube search box you can find it. It was obviously made by someone in ophthalmology.
I had Crystalens implant 12 months ago due to cataract - Crystalens has beenb a huge dissappointment and feel that all their advertising claims are false. The wider community should be aware of thgese false claims - my IOL has never once accomodated and at the end of a day my eye strain is incredible - i am unable to read with the eye with the Crystalens even with glasses near or intermediate - everyday I feel like pulling the eye with the Crystalens out - it is uncomfortabe- I feel that I have been conned and would warn all thiose considering an IOL to steer cxlear of this fraudulent product.
All of these posts underscore the need for the eye surgeon to be very careful in selecting patients who are candidates for presbyopia correcting lenses, and to share UP FRONT with their paitents that there can be drawbacks with them.

This thread, and many other threads here about these lenses, illustrate the fact that there is considerable difference of opinion among eye surgeons about their efficacy.  Dr. Oyakawa is a proponent of Crystalens and has one in his own eye.  My own eye surgeon does not care for Crystalens at all and no longer implants them -- he favors ReSTOR, However, neither Dr. Oyakawa nor Dr. Hagan are fans of this lens.  Bottom line is that presbyopia correcting lenses are riskier than monofocals -- they are not a panacea and persons contemplating these lenses owe it to themselves to do their own research and ask LOTS of questions.
I, too, had cyrstalens implanted in both eyes.  Before the implant, I could not see far but could see real good close. I am a CPA and work constantly with figures. Before the implant, I worked 9 to 10 hours a day close-up with my naked eyes.  Now, I too must look for reading glasses that I keep misplacing.  If I had my druthers, I would rather see close-up and wouldn't mind saving the $8,000.00 it cost me for the cyrstalens.  The advertisement was a fantastic sale with Florence Henderson stating how great her vision was after the crystalens implant.  I had Lasik in both eyes about four months after the crystalens implant and the middle of this month had a Yag procedure.  I still can not see close without reading glasses and I am still paying the loan ($8,000) for my crystalens for the next two years.
jo,  i was just informed of this site and saw your name on this blog.  I think you just emailed me not long ago.  
Jeff

I have retina problems due to "repair" of macular hole. Please tell me name and city of this doctor who can fix such things.
***@****
crystaltricks,
this is NOT a forum to "round of the troops" to file class action lawsuits.  There are plenty of greedy lawyers that will take your case so STAY OFF of this forum!  It is for people to get medical help not create more lawsuits!!
I just had Crystalens implants 7/24 and 8/9.  I, too, was taken in by the Florence Henderson video playing on a loop at my eye doctor's office in the waiting room.  I was told nothing of the possible problems, but that it would be such a big improvement from the cataracts I was dealing with at the time.  I know I should have done more research and checking into this procedure, I was too trusting, my fault.  I just wonder how do I know what questions to ask when I've never done this before?  Shouldn't the doctor have explained all the possible problems?

I can see better far away, but can not see near without my glasses at all... before I could see some.  I'm sad, but what I've read from the posts here is there isn't much hope for things getting any better.  My doc told me the halos I see - my brain will eventually adjust to them and I won't "see" them anymore... is this true?
Who and where is the surgeon that fixed your eye? I may want to try him.
Did you get any help at Mayo?
Have you considered going to a Retna Specialist and having an Ultrasound done of your eyes, which may be the vehicle to determine if the Crystal Lens is defective or damaged?
Stop trying to scare posters at this site with tales of greedy lawyers waiting to pounce on the poor doctors.  I know there is much enmity betwee lawyers and doctors and for everyone of my doctor friends who were unfairly sued I know of a friend who was damaged by a doctor and could only find help from a lawyer who agreed to sue for damages.  Face it, both doctors who charge a fortune for implanting crystalens and lawyers who make money in malpractice businesses are no saints.  But there is obviously a very real problem for some users of the crystalens and there seems to be no remedy.  I, like many others am suffering from poorly accomodating crystalens and who are seriously upset because they have lost previously good vision and are not content.  If I hear one more doctor say that it is our fault because we are "perfectionists" and "too demanding" I will scream.
I am experiencing the same smearing in my vision, and I had Crystallens implanted - it has been 3 years and my vision is still a mess - I have to use cheaters to do close up and many times computer reading.  I'm happy to hear Crystallens can be explanted - my doctor has told me they can't.  Can you please tell me who your doctor is - that is experienced in doing this procedure.  However, if this isn't a choice for me, I plan to see if I can wear mono-contacts, as my distance and close up are bad.  I had mono-lasik prior to Cataract Surgery, and was told Crystallens would work fine if implanted, however, with what vision I do have, it is mono vision.  I have a friend who had mono Restore Lens implanted and they work great.

crystalens installed SEPT.2011 was great for 8 months except SLOW to refocus and never good at distance..then began to slowly get worse till Dec. 2012. at this time it is like looking through a glass smeared with vaseline plus when watching writing an TV there is a "ghost image (double vision) offset by one letter thus blurring the entire line of print. right eye implanted Nov,2011 has been good except for 3 to 4 block focusing close up (10 inches) very good both eyes. anybody with anything similar with a solution other than PRK?
I have a retina defect caused by a botched mackular hole repair. can you give me the name and location of the retina specialist that fixed yours?
cartertech  at gmail.com
As I am a fan and regular follower of Jodie's posts, I know the answer just in case she doesn't happen to read this.
It was Dr. Charles in Memphis that I believe she was extremely happy with, right Jodie ?
I had Crystalens implanted in both eyes in Aug. 2012 and had extreme photophobia and poor vision immediately after the surgery. The vision improved in October and November but started getting worse and was told I need the "yag" in both eyes. Had that done in January and light sensitivity and vision got much worse. I went to Johns Hopkins eye center and Duke and was told there was nothing wrong with the lenses and I must have blepharospasm. I had the Botox and that didn't help. I felt all along there was something wrong with the lenses but I could not find anyone to exchange them. I finally got the original surgeon to exchange the left one on Sept. 4 and within 8 hours I could see clearly and the light sensitivity was much better in that eye. The other one will be done on Sept. 25. The surgeon said the one in the right eye popped right out. He put in a monofocal lens with UV protection and filtered for blue light. I went through an awful time and no one would believe me that there was something wrong with the lenses. I will let everyone know how the left eye does next week.
My other eye was done yesterday with the same positive results as the one done 3 weeks ago. Again, the entire Crystalens popped out easily, and that was after almost 14 months in the eye and a "yag" done in January. I am going to report my experience to the FDA and try to get some money back from Bausch + Lomb for my out-of-pocket expenses. Don't let a doctor tell you that these lenses cannot be removed after a year and after a "yag".
I'm 60 years old and had crystalens implants in April and may 2013.   The dominant eye was set for distance and the non dominant eye was set for near.  My vision is great outdoors, but blurs under indoor lighting.  My eyes feel uncomfortable and have pulling sensations to focus. I have eye pain in the evenings from the strain.  It is uncomfortable to watch TV with the backlight.  The doctor suggested LASIK to match my non dominate to the dominate eye.  Even with a contact in one eye to correct for distance  vision, my eyes feel strained by mid day.  Does anyone have a suggestion for an opthamologist on the west coast that has experience with crystalens problems?
I live in seattle and had crystalens implanted 3 months ago.  I am having all of the problems that everyone else is having.  Does anyone know a surgeon in the seattle area that specializes in removing these lenses and/or fixing the problems?
My original post was LarryB0823 Feb 17 2012.  My problems continue but after this experience - I will always have a form for the doctor to sign that acknowledges that he or she is qualified, capable and willing to correct any problem arising from a surgical procedure. We are required to sign many forms acknowledging WE accept risk including death every time we have a procedure.  It is totally reasonable to ask a doctor if he can correct any problem. If they refuse - you need to go to another doctor.  My doctor said " he never makes a mistake- he is the best in the country". After weeks of problems and even his own staff reporting I could not see - he refused to accept this and also refused to attempt any correction.
Hello Seattle Resident - I am about to have cataract surgery and trying to decide between crystal lens and tecnic multifocal. Can you tell me where you had your surgery done?
I had a Crystalens implanted on 2 Jan 2014 and it's been just over 1 week now.  I was directed by my doctor to use reading glasses (+1.5 power) for the first week and after that to start reading without them.  I am working on the little card I was given and it was discouraging right off the bat because I could hardly read anything on the card.  I'm 51 and had a cataract just starting to impair my vision in my dominate eye so I went to a reputable Dr. and he said I was well qualified for any lens I chose.  I asked about the Crystalens and he said absolutely.  There were no warnings given except a disclaimer that any lens I got existed the possibility that I might need glasses.  Of course that was downplayed.

So I took the plunge and paid for it with high hopes that this lens would be the one.

Currently it's still a bit odd looking through this lens (hard to describe) but it is much better than when I had the cataract.  I do feel my outcome will be favorable as well.  My only concern right now is distance viewing.  Distances from 18" to about 40' are in very good focus.  Put something beyond 40' and it starts to be out of focus.  I am very particular about my focus.  I probably spend an extra 10 minutes with the eye doctor getting my prescription for glasses than the average individual.

So I guess I'm writing here to ask if there is something besides reading this card that I can do to ensure the best possible outcome.
I am 65 and scheduled for surgery on both eyes next month. My doctor didn't recommend any multifocal lens or the crystalens. I got excited about the cyrstalens and the promise of better vision when I first read about them. But after reading the reviews and experiences of the crystalens on this site I'm thinking I should stay with the standard monofocal lenses and supplement my vision with progressive eyeglasses like I've worn for the last 20 years. If anyone has advice or suggestions I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.  Joe
My brother-in-law had cataract surgery (in Michigan) last year and received the Crystalens in one eye and then in the other eye a month later.
He is thrilled with the surgery and the lenses and says it only took a couple of weeks of "training"  the eye to see perfectly.  If he is tired or the light is poor, he will use a pair of reading glasses, but normally he reads without problems.
$2500 per eye out-of-pocket.  I think a lot of the complaints about the Crystalens are regarding the 1st generation of the IOL, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet.
I am 53 and just had cataract surgery on 1/22/14 on my left eye.  I have cataracts on both eyes from vitrectomy surgeries to repair macular holes.  I had wanted Crystalens.  I had laser cataract surgery with LRI for slight astigmatism.  After removing cataract I did not have good support for crystalens.  They put in the new Restor.  I can see distance like I never have experienced in my life.  Intermediate is excellent and only need readers if my eye is tired.  The downside is contrast sensitivity.  Granted it has only been a week.  Met with surgeon today and hope to have crystalens implanted in my right in a few weeks.  If it cannot be done I will have standard monofocal set for distance and use reading glasses.  I don't know about everyone else but there was no promise made that I ever would be glasses free just not so glasses dependent.  If I can watch TV, drive, work out at the gym, work in the yard, ride my bike, go for a run without glasses on my face or having to put a contact in my eye I will be a satisfied patient.  I am ok with cheater readers.  I will post my outcome on my second surgery.  Going to Associates in Opthamology in Pittsburgh Pa they have been wonderful.  
How have your results been with the crystalens?  Is you vision improving?
Thanks KayakerNC  for the info ... I also am in Michigan (Holland). I'm going in today for measurement of the lense to be implanted in two weeks. I will be asking about the lens options. I am still unsure if I'm willing to take the Crystalens risk since it's not like buying a toaster. You just can't return it if you don't like it ... lol. Are the aspheric monofocal lenses the standard lense used these days? Thanks.  Joe
I'm in eastern NC, so not as many choices in this area. I have a spreadsheet with a list of the questions I need to ask at an initial consultation, and I've added your aspheric monofocal question.  
I like the Light Adjustable Lens concept, be nice if the FDA got going and approved some of the IOLs that have been in use for many years in other countries.
In any event, your choice, and the reasons, will be appreciated.  Looking forward to your updates.
I got the eyes measured yesterday and spoke with the doctor. His recommendation for me is the Tecnis Aspheric lens. With the focus set for good near vision vs far vision. I've worn glasses for distance for the last fifty+ years so I think I'd be more comfortable with the same scenario. The only question I neglected to ask is ... What should I expect for my new distance vision compared to what I now have? ... better, worse, same? ... I'm worried that I might end up with worse far vision and thicker eyeglass lenses.
how did you do with your second eye?
Jodie I am 3 weeks out, of crystalens implant.  Reading all these is scaring the Hell out me because, I have never regretted anything more in my whole life.  I am a healthy active 47 year old. Who had had lasik surgery for distance 15 years ago which went perfectly.  I was told that to touch it up now would have to be done every 2 years and that if I touched it up I would loose the close up that I still had.  I opted for the crystalens as opposed to lasik as I was told that it would address both and be GOOD for life.  I am disoriented, I cannot see near or far with that eye, it is blurry and feels like I am wearing someone elses glasses that are fogged up.  All the activities I used to do have come to a stand still as I get dizzy very easy. I am willing to go to the best suregeon whereever he may be.  I am in Canada.   Any suggestions from anyone?  
Last year, at age 68, I had Crystalens implants in both eyes due to cataracts. While I have not experienced the same problems as others on this forum, I am very frustrated with my vision. At first, I thought the floaters I've had seemingly forever were getting worse. Now, I think the problem might be that the lens (can't tell if just the left or both) is constantly trying to focus and I'm seeing this "shift" every time I blink. Has anyone else experienced this?
What do you mean by contrast sensitivity? Just trying to make sure I understand you correctly.
Well I've read and read and I think I'm at the point of canceling my cataract surgery which includes a Permaclear lens in both eyes. I have enough problems without adding more.
"Permaclear" seems to be advertising hype for the ReSTOR IOL.
You have a lot of lens options, but not having cataract surgery will (eventually) give you some REALLY serious vision problems.
Second and Third opinions would be helpful.
Good luck.
I am in Michigan and had Crystalens in my right eye and have the same problems as some have talked about.   Halo's and bluring as someone said like vasoline vision.  I have ghost images.  I was sent to U of M and they could not help and then to a Crystalens specialist in S. Dakota with the same result.  I have neither distance or close up vision.   Please let me know who did the surgery you are talking about.
I am in Michigan and had Crystalens in my right eye and have the same problems as some have talked about.  Please tell me how your surgery went and where you had it done.
please Cecilia, could you give me your doctor's name?
I had crystalens implant on July 9, and the same problems as the above posts. I'm schedule for YAG in 2 weeks, should I go?
I had a similar experience and am SO SORRY I ever had my implants done when I could have easily waited. Yes, they were developing (cataracts) BUT the procedure and the prodcut sounded like it was going to be a "walk in the park." I wear about 6 different pairs of readers depending on the time of day, how tired my eyes might be, etc. PLUS since I chose "mono-vision" (?--- 1 eye lasiked for distance and one for reading) BUT my eyes won't work together. I am blind at night---BLIND! and can no longer do my work which involves use of various shades of the color white which now all have pink casts and I cannot count on the color I see. My cousin works for an opth. and she recommend Re-Stor (I think) because her Dr. said that Crystalens requires realllly fine dr's due to the extras needed to be done to enhance them. Mine doctor is outstanding with numerous awards and is infact reciving an "award" from the President this month for his "no charge" work with Wounded Warriors. I do wonder if he had forgotten that I had astigmatism and seem to recall Crystalens was not recommended if one has this condition. PLUS my eyes are so dry now I am in his office every few months regarding their condition. What I see in their office in the eye exams---and the condiitons in the office IS NOT AT ALL what I see in the world. I am totally miserable. Now broke due to tremendous debt for hubby's multiple surgeries and 2 years away from Medicare. i.e. no money, no insurance, $70 PER MONTH income too high for help from any of those out there who help the "poor" which I guess I am as well now. IF I had to do this over again I would ask soooo many questions!! Not use Crystalens!
BUT, the questions just became apparent as I struggled with them. Hubby had most of the same problems  except he can see to read and drive....by knocking out the lens on one side of his glasses. Ha ha! Quite Attractive.
BOTTOM LINE:  See at least 3 opthm and research online before biting the bullet on the surgery. Wait to you realllly need it.
I had the crystal lenses about 10 years ago and recently a detatched retina.
I hear from the medical community and articles, the crystal lens have more of an expectancy of retina detatchment.  Has anyone else experienced this?
I am worried about my other eye
I want to see if anyone has had what I'm experiencing with these. I was sick & tired and generally feeling lousy from the first week I had these put in. At first I thought it was just the surgery. After not going away for 4 weeks I thought it was the eye drops effecting me. But after I stopped those it continued. I complained over & over but since my problem was not the quality of vision like so many of you. No one believed it was being caused by the lenses....just coincidental. So next I went to my internist and had a battery of tests. Could not find a thing and in general good health. Next I was told the yag laser capsulotomy might improve it. I was NOT told that once this is done removing them becomes much more difficult.  The laser treatment made me feel worse! I actually spent 6 days in bed. I finally went in a stated flatly that I want these out. I KNOW this is what's causing my distress wether I'm believed or not and honestly feel I can't go on this way. I barely make it through each day. I'm in the process of finding an experienced surgeon to do this. If anyone has had this done please contact me!
=
I too was unhappy with Crystalens.  I experienced positive dysphotopsia, glare and extreme light sensitivity.  I had YAGs which did not help.  After a year, I had the left lens exchanged. Six months hence, I had the right lens exchanged.  My problems were resolved.  It was done by Dr. Richard Mackool Sr. at the Mackool Eye Institute in Astoria, NY.  He is world class and a very lovely person.  Be aware that he does not accept insurance, so I paid out of pocket and then sought out of network reimbursement from my insurance company.  Also be aware, that multiple surgeries increase the risk of retinal tears.  I had a tear a couple weeks after the right lens was exchanged.  Fortunately, it was promptly and successfully treated.  Best wishes.
re: "I KNOW"

How do you claim to "KNOW"? It seems it is because it happened around the same time. You state:

re: "No one believed it was being caused by the lenses....just coincidental. "

which suggests that you are dismissing the idea that it could be a coincidence. Last I checked there were about 3 million cataract surgeries per year done in the US, and a few times that many globally. Many people get sick each day for reasons unrelated to cataract surgery. A certain percentage of people will get sick around the time of cataract surgery and will assume it must have been the cataract surgery and have trouble with the idea that in the real world coincidences exist.

Even if it *is* a result of the surgery, without knowing what the actual issue is specifically, it isn't clear why you can be sure that a lens replacement surgery would help the issue. Another IOL may leave you with exactly the same problem, or perhaps the trauma of surgery will make things worse.. I'm sure there are surgeons out there that will take people's money regardless of the reason they wish a lens exchange, but it seems to make sense to be sure that the surgery will help.

People sometimes experience headaches or feel dizzy or have other symptoms  even with a change in prescription for glasses or contacts, or say the first time they get progressive glasses. Having *any* sort of IOL is a major change in your visual system and perhaps some people have more trouble adapting, and that can increase their stress level.

Any sort of surgery is stressful, and stress can influence health, or people's "feeling" of not being well.  You give no specific symptoms other than feeling "lousy" which suggests stress.  

One of the problems with this thread above are many older messages, and I won't take time to read them all, but many aren't specific enough to be sure what there problem is, even if many immediately blame this lens. Some read like  their symptoms may be things like the lens power being wrong (rather than a flaw in the lens) or that they may   need for a YAG, or have other conditions with their eyes  which may or may not be related to this particular choice of lens. There are many real problems that arise from the Crystalens I'm sure, as there are with other IOLs or merely with getting surgery with any IOL at all, but the first step needs to be to try to confirm and narrow down the nature of the problem and not to leap immediately to the conclusion that there has to be a flaw in this lens (rather than the surgery being flawed, or another eye condition perhaps even coincidentally arising, or an issue that would exist regardless of which IOL).  
6 days in bed because of YAG???
I've had YAG and, yeah, I think there is definitely another "issue" with Shortskis going on.
I have had almost the identical problem with the 2 Crystalens used for both eyes this December 2015. I would be anxious to know how you have resolved your problem, My opthamologist performed the Yag Laser on both eyes with no result. I am seeing another doctor for a second opinion. Help if you can!
=
It would be more helpful if you were to post your actual issues, rather than referring back to a post made 6 years ago.