Eye Care Community
Many problems with Crystalens

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Many problems with Crystalens

After much stress in the decision process, I'm going to ask my surgeon to go ahead and exchange the Crystalens in my left (dominant) eye for the ReStor, which was at his suggestion. I have put it off because I have such good intermediate vision in that eye, but that's really all it has going for it. I continue to feel fuzzy-eyed when I am in any space larger than my office cubicle. Any larger area   just makes me uncomfortable because of the cloudiness/blurriness in my left eye. My guess is that this is because my left eye is trying to see distance and the Crystalens did not accommodate for that. The ReStor that my doctor suggested using would be "calibrated" (don't know if that's a proper medical term) for arm's length close vision with a good distance vision.

At this point, I don't care if I have to wear glasses all the time. I'm used to wearing progressives. I just want to end the uncomfortable feeling in my left eye and be able to see. It doesn't even feel right when I blink. But the ReStor in the right eye has felt comfortable from day one.

The Crystalens has been in for 9-1/2 weeks. Any comments are appreciated. I just think I am using up precious time hoping that the Crystalens will start working right.

Thanks,
jefields
Were you unsuccessful at improving your distance vision with a contact lens?  (In this case, probably Lasik wouldn't work either.)  If your surgeon is experienced at explanting IOLs and feels that you are a good candidate for this procedure, then why not go for it?  I'm assuming that you are happy with your vision with your ReStor eye.  My only concern is related to your surgeon's claim that your ReStor lens will be targeted for good distance and arm's length vision.  From everything I know, the ReStor is a bifocal IOL with distance and near vision segments.  There is no segment for intermediate (or "arm's length") vision.  Consequently, many otherwise happy ReStor patients do need weak readers for using the computer (and other intermediate vision tasks.)  But if you're happy with your ReStor vision in your right eye, this seems to me to be a minor inconvenience.  Near vision with ReStor is reported to be excellent.  
Thanks for responding, JodieJ.

The contact lens improved distance and took away the uncomfortable feeling of looking through a glass smeared with Vaseline. But I lost intermediate and reading by doing that. My surgeon is experienced at explanting the IOLs and has even done them beyond 6 months, although he prefers to do them within the first 8-10 weeks. He also said the Crystalens is the easiest of the 3 multifocal IOLs to explant. With the ReStor, he measured the len's power so that the reading distance will focus further out than the right eye, approx 20" out (a bit of monovision). I know this isn't an exact science, but any range out from the current reading distance in the right eye (ReStor) will help to provide better reading and depth. And if it turns out I need readers for intermediate, I don't mind a bit. It's the "vaseline" feeling that's causing the most stress.

Thanks,
jefields
-----------------------
It sounds like your Crystalens has left you slightly nearsighted, giving you a type of modified monovision, with distance vision in your nondominant eye and near/intermediate vision in your dominant eye.  Maybe you couldn't get used to not having good distance vision in your dominant eye.  My only concern is whether slight monovision with ReStor will work much better.  Maybe the forum doctors have an opinion about this.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
----------------------
CRYSTALENS PROBLEMS! HELP PLEASE!
Does anyone kno of any lawsuits against their doctor or Eyeonics ( makers of Crystalens)?
I have been severely injured by the implantation of the Crystalens IOL.
Can anyone help?  Would like to know others problems w/ this lens please!
Thank you so much.
This is a medical/surgical eye care forum. It is not a rallying point for lawsuits. Please do not continue this thread (injured). There are a million trial lawyers out there with websites trolling for lawsuits. If you must go there.

If you post again on the subject of lawsuits your posting will be removed and you will be denied access in the future.

The Eye Physicians of the AAO MedHelp Eye Forums
So sorry. Only trying to get info & solutions to problems associated with implant of Crystalens.
Thought maybe someone who had extensive issues may have solutions to the eye problems
and/or referral to MD who may have been involved in fixing their vision conditions.
Obviously, the problems you've been having with your Crystalens implants are causing you a great deal of distress, but it's not clear that they can't be reduced/eliminated.  I think that your best bet would be to get a second (and maybe third or even fourth) opinion from a cataract/refractive surgeon who are experienced with Crystalens.  I assume that your relationship with your own cataract surgeon is too damaged to ask him/her for a such a referral.  A general practice ophthalmologist might be a good source for referrals, or you could try the ophthalmology department at a medical center.  Sometimes optometrists (who occasionally do post-surgery care) are knowledgeable about who's good.  Or you could try posting your location, and perhaps someone could provide the name of a doctor in your area.  You might even try the 800 number at Eyeonomics for the names of surgeons.  Just be sure that the doctor you see is a board-certified ophthalmologist who has been practicing for awhile (i.e., not someone who just finished his/her residency last year).  Dr. Hagan has posted the website address for AAO's find-an-eye-MD elsewhere on this forum.

It might also be helpful to read through the archives of this forum for other threads from people who have had Crystalens problems.  Earlier in this thread, jefields reported that her surgeon is experienced at explanting the Crystalens, even beyond 6-months post-surgery.  (Do you live in Alabama?)  You could also start your own thread, describing your problems, and perhaps the forum doctors or other readers would have suggestions for you.

I know from personal experience that vision problems can be terribly anxiety-provoking.  At this point in time, I think it would be best for you to focus your efforts and energy on trying to resolve them.  Best wishes.
------------------------
The website I referred to above is www.aao.org.  There is a link to their "find an eye M.D." feature on their home page.  You will have to call the doctor's office to find out about his/her experience with Crystalens (the more, the better).  You can also use this site to find out about the credentials of doctors who have been referred to you from other sources (such as the Eyeonics 800 number).  Please don't get discouraged.  If all else fails, there are many fine surgeons nationwide who are experienced at explanting multifocal/accommodating IOLs (like the Crystalens) and replacing them with monofocal lenses.  Best of luck!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
-------------------------
I am very sorry about your problems with the Crystalens. I don't believe my eye has been damaged with the implantation of this lens...only that I'm having vision problems that are making me uncomfortable. My doctor is explanting the lens tomorrow morning, and will be replacing it with a lens like the one in my other eye, a ReStor lens. My doctor is very happy to do this as he wants happy patients as well, and he, too, is sorry the Crystalens didn't work for me. I hope you can find a doctor whom you can trust and work with. It is, as JodieJ said, a very anxiety-producing situation when you are experiencing vision problems and I wish you well.

jefields
Avatar_dr_m_tn
--------------------------
I can relate to jefields and her experience with crystalens which I had implanted several years ago. I have the same problems and my Dr assures me that it is perfectly placed and there are no real problems. I got a second opinion and he said I should ask my Dr. to try something to help me, maybe lasik at his expense. When I did this, he said with my eyes being dry, this would only make it worse. There seems to be nothing else he can do and I have truly lost trust in his decisions anyway.
He does not want to do invasive surgery again, and he did not feel comfortable going back in originally as Crystalens suggested, to giggle it and hopefully get it to focus as it should have. The eye is always uncomfotable and I wear a contact over it most of the time for distance. If you know an experienced Dr. with these lenses in Charlotte, NC, I would certainly go in for a third or forth recommendation. Thanks.  
If you eye has been "damaged", it is due to the cataract/IOL procedure itself and NOT the crystalens.  There are a couple of aspects of the crystalens procedure that differ from the traditional monofocal IOL procedure.  However, these subtle differences are for the surgeon to be MORE meticulous with things like the size of the capsulorhexis (opening in the front capsule or "shell" of the natural lens) and cleanup of any residual cortical material.

Again, if you were injured, it is more than likely that you would have been injured regardless of the lens that was implanted.  To be quite honest, these days any patient injury that occurs in the operating room during a cataract procedure is typically due to the patient moving during rather delicate parts of the surgery.  It has been my experience observing well over 20 cases per week, every week for the last three years that the incidence of "mistakes" made by surgeons is almost too low to calculate.
I agree that this is not the forum to form class action lawsuits.  That being said, I'm glad all of us with Crystalens problems were able to give you a "chuckle".   Statements like that will give you zero credibility on this forum as if your username were not enough.
I also aggee with Old Navy. My MD does not allow your type in his office. As if there is not enough mark up with out you, and your type. The reform would be to cut your peice of the pie from the picture to lower the cost.
Further, You don't hit a Home Run every time you step up to the plate. All we are asking is WHY??? How can something so simple and la-tee-da as you say, in some cases have a 180 effect on some.people. My vision is three times worse now, I lost my vision, I lost my income, my life as I once had it,and I'm out $7000.00 plus ,with bills still comming! Real easy for you to make such rude comments to someone that is beside themself due to your income.
Shame on YOU !
My company is the leader in phaco equipment in the world.  As far as your "doesn't allow your type" comment, you are showing your ignorance.  No surgeon uses our phaco equipment or lenses without a rep (at least initially) in the OR.  So yes, your doctor does allow "our type" into his operating room.

YOU are the most dangerous person out there.  You are clearly part of the "partially educated public"...
I am an optical engineer with a cataract, trying to decide which (if any) IOL to have implanted. I have been watching this forum and have a slightly different view of things...

When things don't work well, it is because SOMETHING isn't working as it should. 100.00% of failures and problems should at minimum be fully understood, so that they are never repeated. Failure to close this obvious quality-control gap must fall on the IOL manufacturer-surgeon team, as there is simply nowhere else for it to fall. For example, how could a patient ever get an IOL that was out of focus except through surgical error? There probably ARE reasons for it to be something else, but the surgeon probably lacks the skills and equipment to figure it out, and besides, whatever he finds would probably just be used against him in court. Asking the patients to chase 2nd and 3rd opinions from other surgeons who also lack the skills and equipment is just plain stupid.

No, there needs to be a central facility for people with problem IOL implants to go, where people with the skills and machinery can diagnose EXACTLY what the problem is. Then, depending on the exact problem, the patients should be referred to a surgeon with experience fixing that exact problem.

Currently the ONLY party with the money and interest in such a facility is the IOL manufacturer. So, please stop complaining about the complainers and do what you can to fix this obvious mess. YOU are the only party standing between the patients and the manufacturer, whose voice might be able to correct this mess.

Hopefully you can see that the cost/benefit of such a facility is WAY better than living without it, as every new patient now sees IOLs as a crap shoot. Sure, few people ever go blind from this procedure. However, there are a LOT of people who certainly aren't satisfied with it. Currently, the definition of "success" is vision that may still be WORSE than that of my bad eye. It seems that with the present mess, that I should wait for my bad eye to become SO bad that it doesn't qualify as a "success" before getting an IOL.

In my own case, I do a LOT of fine work and really need Crystalens' depth of focus. The "little" detail that once you have some OTHER type of lens implanted, that you can then never have a Crystalens, makes choosing the right IOL very important.

Further, that some people aren't able to focus far away with their Crystalens indicates a REALLY BIG problem, because with its superior depth of focus, this should never ever be a problem. Clearly, any such problems should STOP implantation until it is fully understood.

I was waiting for aspheric crystalens to come onto the market, but I can now see that perhaps I should also wait for the IOL manufacturers to get a dose of responsibility.

I wonder if somewhere in the U.S. there is an IOL surgeon who is willing to purchase the equipment to fully diagnose IOL problems, and would like to make some REALLY BIG money fixing the screwups of the IOL manufacturers and surgeons. All it would take is just one IOL surgeon looking to make some REALLY BIG money to close this gap.

Steve
I had Crystalens implants in both eyes in June/July 2009.  The first eye (right) seemed to be doing well after 2 weeks and my doctor approved going ahead with the second (left) eye the following week.  I felt there were problems with the left eye at about 5 days after surgery when my distance reading vision started to blur.  I could see scenery, etc. clearly but couldn't read road signs until I was close to them. I was told the lens were in perfect position and the blurriness was due to dry eyes.  As time went on the distance vision in both eyes continued to get worse.  I was told this was probably due to the scar tissue not allowing the lens to move properly and a simple YAG laser treatment after 3 months would most likely take care of the problem.  At 3 months after my second surgery I was anxious to get the YAG laser done expecting my vision to improve.  What a MISTAKE!  The YAG laser treatment caused the lens in both eyes to shift and my vision took a dramatic turn for the worse.  Additionally, it immediately caused large cloudy wavy floaters in both eyes, especially the right eye and I feel a constant tugging in the right eye.  My surgeon referred me to an opthamologist who is treating me for uveitis.  The edema is improving but my vision is not getting better.  My surgeon has offered to do Lasix to try to improve my vision but I have a problem with dry eyes which the opthamologist says will get worse.  Has anyone gone through the explant and replacement of the Crystalens?  Can you tell me if that was successful?  Also, does anyone know how much worse the Lasix will make my dry eye problem?  I had the Crystalens surgery because my dry eyes made it impossible to wear contact lens and I get terrible headaches when I wear glasses.  I just want to be able to see without this constant pain and blurriness in my eyes.  I know my problems have been experienced my many of you on this site and I am hoping someone has been able to find a solution to help.  Please share any insight you may have.

crystalensgonewrong
"Refractive" surgery is always very individual based. If you have a type A personality and is very "particular" about your vision, you should never have any refractive procedures done. No LASIK no Crystalens no Restore lens. I have found that engineers (I used to be one), are the most demanding people to satisfy as a patient. As such, I never do elective procedure on them. I am a very particular physician as well and I pick and choose who I will be operating on. That's not to say these new lenses are not any good. You just have to be the right patient for it.

Ace
Your post is RIGHT ON!  What you are describing is exactly the kind of facility I am trying to find, and would expect the manufacturers to already have in place, to diagnose the problem and provide a source to fix my vision after my Crystalen's implants.  At the moment I am most upset with my cataract surgeon as I have an autoimmune disorder where inflammation of the blood vessels is a big problem for me.  I discussed all this with my doctor prior to consenting to surgery and he assured and reassured me that he was familiar with Behcet's and that I still was a good candidate for this procedure and the Behcet's would not be a issue.  My pre-treatment and follow-up treatments were handled exactly the same as any other patient - no special attention given to the Behcets. I was told early on and throughout recovery that if my vision didn't improve the surgeon could first do a laser treatment (YAG) to "obliterate" the scar tissue and if that wasn't enough he could "tweak" it with some Lasik.  I had no idea at the time the YAG actually cut a hole in the capsulary sac.   No big deal - RIGHT! - WRONG, the YAG made my vision 5 times worse than before the YAG.   As I said in my earlier post, I am currently being treated for Uveitis, which is close to being under control so my Opthamologist released me to discuss my options, with the refractive surgeon.  I am now doing extensive research (which I should have done pre-op) and am finding information that suggests additional precautions (a pre-surgery prednisone dose and a longer period - perhaps 3 months instead of 4 weeks - for the steriodal eyedrops could have been prescribed to slow down the healing process to allow the lens to properly scar in place.  Well, my surgeon accepts NO responsibility for "the way I healed" and says I could have had a Behcet's flare for other reasons, not related to the eye surgery  - Any invasive procedure can cause inflammation anywhere in the body.  OK, enough of that.  At this point I told my surgeon I just want to be able to see without constant the discomfort and distraction I am currently experiencing.  He now says my options are:  1) explant the Crystalens - which is no longer a viable option since he did the YAG laser (which he NEVER told me about any of the complications or cost involved with that!), 2) insert a "piggy-back" mono-focal lens to add distance vision (we didn't get into the cost of that yet), 3) Lasik or PRK which will improve the distance vision at the cost of losing my near vision and worsen my dry eye issues (again never previously mentioned this "tweaking" would hurt the near vision and didn't tell me additional costs would be involved if it came to this), and 4) told me to get a 2nd opinion and gave me a referral to a "Crystalens Specialist" in Dallas.  I am planning on calling the "specialist" today, but as others have said the costs just go on and on.

IT IS JUST NOT RIGHT THAT A DOCTOR CAN ENCOURAGE YOU WITH THE PROSPECT OF BETTER VISION, TAKE A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF YOUR MONEY, TIME & EMOTIONAL WELL BEING, AND JUST SAY "SORRY, NOT MY FAULT, YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO WEAR GLASSES FULL TIME THE REST OF YOUR LIFE - WHICH IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME AND IS WHY I OPTED TO GO THIS ROUTE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

If anyone has already gone down this path I would appreciate hearing which option you choose and if you are satisfied with the final outcome.
I too have had problems with my Crystalens implant.  I had a Crystalens implanted into my right eye.  I was told by the opthlamologist that those people that did not have good results with this lens in the past, did not follow their MDs instructions.  I was told to practice reading this card, supplied by Crystalens, that had varying font sizes.  I did this faithfully because I wanted my implant to work.  My vision did not improve so the MD performed YAG and LASIK surgery.  When my vision still did not improve I was referred to his partner (a retinologist).  I was given steroid injections into my eye.  This did not help so later I had a vitrectomy.  Then I developed glaucoma.  The pressure in my eye rose to over 50 so I had a needle stuck in my eye to relieve the pressure (twice).  Needless to say, I know have to use a steroid eye drop and glaucoma eye drops in my eye for the rest of my life.  I still have problems with elevated pressure in my eye.  The MD told me that my Crystalens had locked into the "up close" position and was not focusing properly.  I did correspond back and forth with the makers of Crystalens and sought legal help.  I was told that in order to prove that the lens was faulty, I would have to have the lens removed.  I read where the lens is damaged when removed from the eye.  So, I guess there is no way to prove that this lens is faulty.  So I am stuck with what I have and would not recommend this lens for ANYONE.  I think the FDA needs to investigate these claims and remove this product from the market.
Hi jefields,
I read your post about "calibrating" your replacement lens for arms length vision.  I was curious.... which restor did you have in your right eye?  The +4.0 add or the +3.0 add?  You can look at the little card they gave you after surgery; it should have a part number on it, either SN6AD1 (is a +3.0) or SN6AD3 (a +4.0).  Reason I ask, is the +4.0 was notorious for poor intermediate vision, and very close reading vision.  The newer model, the +3.0, moves distance vision and reading vision closer together.  The result is less loss of intermediate vision, and comfortable reading a little further out.  I have 20/25 intermediate vision with mine.

So I was wondering If you have a +4.0 currently in your right eye, maybe he put a +3.0 in your left?  I have read mixing the two is successful. I was just wondering if that's what he did.

I am sorry you needed to go through the surgery.  Lens replacement is scary enough the first time when you think about what they are doing.

Two surgeons I talked to when consulting did not like to do crystalens.  One of the techs at one of the offices said the surgeon there had only done two.... along with two explants.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea either on a lens being dependent on my eye muscles to work it.  I thought: A) my muscles may not move it at all, then I'd have an overpriced monofocal, B) the muscles may move it now, but what about as I age?  Heaven knows I've got enough other "original equipment being replaced by aftermarket"  Ha-ha!  Serously, I like the idea of having a lens that just needs to "sit there" to do it's thing until I die.

In my decision to go ahead with CLR, I thought if my intermediate vision wasn't so good, I would get computer glasses I could keep at my desk.  It would be most convenient of the 3 vision distances to need specs for.  But as it is, I don't need them.

So let us know how it went jefields if you get back to read this post....
i had crystalens implanted in one eye 9-30-10 and the second eye 10-05-10.  I had the procedure done because of cataracts,  My insurance company paid a small amount as they would not cover the crystalens as it was not a necessary procedure and covered part of the portion of the operation that would have allowed me to have mono-lens inserted.  I understood I could of just had the mono-lens placed but have worn glasses since 3rd grade (I am 60 now) and just the idea that I could have perfect vision with no glasses was like a dream come true.  Well, needless to say that was not to be.  I have had problems with the crystalens since they were inserted in both eyes. Spiderwebs, flashing of light, poorer night vision, poorer color vision and have slowly lost my near sight which is still growing worse.  At first I could see 12" and beyond now that is at 24".  My doctor wanted to do the external yag procedure and scheduled me for it but when I came home and read that if it was done my chances of removal of the crystalens (if necessary) dropped greatly if this was done I cancelled.  then he had a crytalens specialist come in and he decided I needed to do an internal yag because scarring was stopping the lens from moving.  My question was to them then why did I not have good sight before the scarring developed.  They had no answer.  As I am reading I feel I should cancel the internal yag also, which is scheduled for this week.  It seems to me from the postings that the more they try to correct the lens after implantation with other procedures the worse your sight becomes.  I own my own business and it has been terrible trying to use reading glasses for 2 minutes and then removing them and losing or breaking them and then looking for them again because there is some other part of the job I need them for.  I have been charged over 6000,00 out of pocket (which I still owe alot) and they keep wanting more.  I would rather have to wear glasses  all the time then put them on and take them off all day long.  I am so angry and don't know where to go for help.  No one wants to pay for this mess they have put me in and I can't believe they expect me to pay for an unsuccessful surgery which has cost me so much time and money. They tell me there is nothing wrong with the lens because the lot they came out of has shown no other defects.  All I know is I researched this product, dreamed of the new life it could give me and now am in a nightmare.  All of us on this site are crying for help, these are our eyes, our pathway to the world around us and it has been taken away and no one will help, or take any responsibility.  I would gladly pay twice as much just to see well again but at this rate I will lose my business and not even be able to pay what they think I owe now.  Hopeless.
For those of you having problems with the crystalens, could you please post if you had the implant as a replacement for glasses or conatacts or if you needed cataract surgery and this was just one of your options.
The crystalens issues are much like bifocal glasses. For years people have complained with bifocals most of us can wear them but they do not function like our eyes used to before presbyopia.
Also for posters that know their visual acuities could you please post those.
I guess I'm just lucky!  I haven't had any of the Crystalens problems I read about in this forum.  I'm 70 years old and my IOLs were implanted about 14 weeks and 10 weeks ago. My left eye was the first done and my vision with it is 20/20 and J2. The right eye is not as good, it's 20/30 and J3.  I'm scheduled for a yag procedure for the right eye because the sac is cloudy in it while the left one is clear. I have no real need for glasses during any activity, but I do have a pair of readers (with no correction for the left eye) that I use when reading a book with small print.
Just a comment for anyone who is reading on this subject. Yes, I attempted to organize a class-action suit with more than one firm and was told that their are simply to many variables among patients and among the surgeon's skills and techniques to organize such a thing. That's all I'm going to say, since legal discussions are not appropriate here.

I will say one more thing because a forum like this is the only way to spread the word about something that will truly help to protect people. In the original 2003 FDA studies that Eyeonics submitted, no patients in the studies developed posterior capsule opacification, the clouding in the capsular bag that requires a laser-generated hole behind the implant (YAG). Why did no patients develop this when 5-10 % of patients in general practice do??? I believe its because the study doctors did a complete capsule polishing to remove all cellular debris and less meticulous surgeons out there do not. When cellular debis is left behind, it can crystalize and encapsulate the implant and restrict the movement of the implant. This has been studied by ultrasound by Bausch and Lomb. It is, however, not very openly talked about, because it can place the blame for poor outcomes back on the surgeon. The moral of the story... discuss this whole capsule polishing issue with your doctor if you are considering Crystalens.  
I had Crystalens implanted in my left eye in April 2009 and still have many problems with it.  At this point, I wish I had the cataract back, I could actually see better with it than with the Crystalens.  Immediately after the surgery I had extremely good near vision, but extremely blurry distance vision.  After 2 months the doctor did a laser correction to reshape the cornea.  It was slightly better for a few months.  A month ago he recommended a Yag due to what's called a secondary cataract.  My distance vision is even worse now.  Last week the doctor said it was because my eye is dry, but drops does not make it better.  My left eye vision is ruined.  Crystalens is a bad product and I wish I had never heard of it.  It was a huge mistake and I would never recommend it to anyone.  I am however going to go to another doctor as I have lost faith in the one I have because he can't seem to fix it.  Perhaps no one can, I really don't have confidence that they can.  
I just had a IOL 8 weeks ago and still find spots of cloudiness or what seems like White Out ...which is not getting a sharp focus.
Just curious if you had similar results and how the replacement ReZoom are working?  Thanks
With all the issue with crystalens hd, i would be more thanhappy to have the cataractsback.  R eye crystal HD put in, coudn.t see a thing so next day old lense out new one in,  against my better judgement was convinced to do l eye then my eye would work to gether, Not with , double and blurry at any didstance, cant drive a night to many halos yes there is drops to minimize pupil dialation. one and a half years for r eye it see about 3 to 10 feet as for the left eye every distance is messed up,wear one contact so i can drive with out getting dizzy or nausiated still cant read streat sighns, thank God for talking garnins, Finally after 18 month doc took out the stiches in my eyes from surgery.  seem like a long time to keep stiches in,  now my r eye is itching,red and mucus running, Now doc said it was a medicine i took that is why the lenses dont work. I have tried everything my eye do not see. Now the hail Mary with YAG  procceedure, Has anyone had any luck with the chrystal len HD, and about the yag, i  really dont trust this doc,  has any proceedure help with vision i would apreciate the help, i am only 45
`I have a diaster in my right eye with the crystalens implants,. all that money and I am so frustrated, then lazic, then lazer holes in the eye to let more lite in.  all to no avail. all I wanted was a cateract removed and the Dr said this is the very best lens. so I opted for it. its been 1 1/2 years and I could'nt be more unhappy. nearly blind-- and we can't talk about lawsuits. I don't know where to go, or what to do. I really feel I was screwed.

Dan in Arizona
If it's been that long and you're still having those kinds of issues, I'd talk to another opthalmologist to see about explanting the lens and replacing with another lens type.  It sounds like you may have already had YAG laser treatment for lens opacity (which I understand is relatively common with Crystalens), but an explant might still be able to be performed.  Don't lose hope.
I would take your advise. But  I am told that that kind of surgery is very invasive and it could actually do more harm. I got a second opinion and he would not touch the eye... he said his oath is  to ( DO NO HARM )  . he felt unqualified.   the lens has been in for  one and a half years...  can it be changed without the likelyhood of more damage.?
I know that a number of people who have posted here have had success in having their lenses explanted, but I can't answer your question as I'm not a physician.  I suggest that you re-post your question in the Expert eye forum -- you should receive a response from one of the opthalmologists that regularly post here very soon.
Cataract surgeons differ significantly in terms of their skills.  You need to see one of the "best of the best," and you might have to travel.  You could ask the last surgeon you saw whom s/he would recommend to a family member/close friend who was experiencing your problems.  Or you could find a top cataract specialist using Castle-Connolly listings (try googling).  Or you could start a new thread describing your condition and geographic location and get suggestions from one of the forum doctors.

I speak from personal experience.  I had many vision problems following a botched retinal procedure.  I consulted three respected local retinal surgeons about the possibility of corrective surgery, and they all told me that it would only make my condition worse.  Basically, they all said, "Just go home and live with it."  I had to travel to see one of the very best retinal specialists in the country.  He competently repaired my botched surgery during a 20-minute outpatient procedure.  
I had very high expectations with the Crystalen.  I did all of the research including a background check on the surgeon.  I had surgery in January.  I was able to see close up before and I was not able to see at a distance. I came home from work crying today as there  is a pair of cheaters in every room.  I feel like a baby constantly looking for a pacifier.  This was a trade off... Now I cannot do simple tasks like cook, read, computer, and shop without eye glasses (pulling off and on all day).  I can drive just fine now and wake up during the night not looking for eye glasses.  So far I have paid $7,500 out of pocket.  It sounded so promising,but, to me, it was a disaster.  I would do anything if I had the chance to redo this outcome.  It is sad and I wish the manufacturer would rethink its marketing strategy of take a look at the number of unhappy clients.  Being able to see is everything.
I'm sorry all of you are having so much trouble with your Crystalens.

I had Crystalens inplants in 2006 and am very satisfied with them, I have never had any problems, I can see at all distances, no problem with halos
or any thing else. I got crystalens because of cataracts.
I have the latest version of the crystalens and I am still waiting for the day that they deliver what they promised! After 13 months I feel that there is no hope for these to work out as per all the hipe that the manufacturer and the surgeon pumped me up with. I have been through the mill...several times and still can only see a small amount better at the intermediate level. I have halos, glares, some blurriness, and I have now been fitted for a contact lens to aid with my distance vision. Over four thousand dolllars later- not including insurance - and what do I have to show for it! NOT MUCH! I have been to two other specialist who checked my retina and cornea and these were OK. Now the latest theory is that my eye muscle hasn't yet adapted to the IOL. Next stop...Mayo Clinic to see if they can figure it out.
For all those out there who are going for the Crystalens; all I can say is good luck!
I have problems with my crystalens also. my eye says swollen and my vision is smeared.  I'll back you on starting a law suit. count me in
It has been almost 3 months since my surgery in my right eye.     I hate the Crystalens.  I can't see near and I need glasses to see distance.    My vision is much worse and I have an astigmatism too.     Dr. Bokosky told me I would have 20/25 maybe 20/30 and crisp distance vision with the Crystalens.   I wonder why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit .   email address ***@****.  
Joan
I guess it is because it is difficult to prove to the court that your vision is worse than you expected or promised before the surgery.

By the way, I think multifocal IOL is an immature product. It may only be suitable for those who has bad visions currently and cannot be corrected by other means. Any doctors who recommend this to his or her patients should warn their patients clearly all possible results and side effects. Unfortunatley, there are doctors who are adventurous and treat the whole thing as an learning or experimenting path. There are also doctos who act like salesman..... The government or FDA should do something in this area.
I wish to god I'd of done more research on the crystalens! I hate it and what is worse the "expert" eye surgeon blew me off when I told him of the problems I have. My side vision is like vasoline smeared on my eye and my eye twitches constantly. It's been  3 months and I have went to other opinions who say it IS the lens.  I refuse to get the other done, I'll go blind first.  Sorry this my not be the place but, I also who like to sue to get at least the other opinions   paid for that my insurance won't pay for.
I had crystalens surgery this past June 2011.  My results have not matched up to what the crystalens advertisement or what my doctor told me to expect.  I have had scar tissue removed.  I was told by my doctor I might need reading glasses if I was in a dark restaurant for menu reading.  I have reading glasses all over my house for cooking and other close up needs.  I got the crystalens hoping never to pick up a pair of glasses just pretty sunglasses.  It seems now that my distance vision is getting blurry.  If I have natural sunlight I find that I can read, but only with natural light ONLY.  My husband writes the payment every month and ask how are my Crystalens?  It's more than sad to make this payment on a fixed income.  Oh, I am 62 and was told by a very reputable opthamologist that folks passed 55 normally have lost the muscle tissue needed for crystalens to work.  He would have never recommended the crystalens due to my age.  I would not recommend Crystalens to anyone.  I believe it is just way too risky.  I would love for someone to pick up the balance of what I owe.  Sure would make my life easier.  Just another very disappointed Crystalens patient.    
I had a crystalens implanted 11/29 and experienced vision problems immediately that has resulted in a 30% loss of vision.  I was told I would be able to see distance and mid range including my computer screen with out glasses - just may need reading glasses.  This was false for I now have blurred vision at all distances and the only thing I can read on the computer is the word YAHOO.  I have visited several other doctors for their analysis and have been told the Crystalens is the hardest to remove if more than a week has passed since the implant. I am now 9 weeks and I was told my tissue has grown around the lens and any attempt to remove it would destroy my eye.  The Restor lens is the best because it could be removed without further damage to my eye.  My advise - get a minimum of three opinions before having an implant and then only when you are having GREAT difficulty seeing.  MY life is now GREATLY changed forever!!
I have the same problem as you. I had the surgery done in 2010. It cost me $3000 for each eye. I had a strong prescription -7.50, but I could see up close without glasses. Now, I can see far, but I still have a cloud in my left eye, and a floating membrane in my right eye. I'm afraid the Yag could make it worse. There are some halos from cars at night. I'm going to get a 2nd, maybe 3rd opinion. I'm 62 yrs. old. I should have done my research first. I donated several pairs of glasses, and I still have contacts leftover. I wish I could see up close again. What a trade off.
There is a video concerning this. If you cut and paste

"Hard Sell Crystalens™, ReZoom™ & ReSTOR™ "

into either Goggle or the youtube search box you can find it. It was obviously made by someone in ophthalmology.
I had Crystalens implant 12 months ago due to cataract - Crystalens has beenb a huge dissappointment and feel that all their advertising claims are false. The wider community should be aware of thgese false claims - my IOL has never once accomodated and at the end of a day my eye strain is incredible - i am unable to read with the eye with the Crystalens even with glasses near or intermediate - everyday I feel like pulling the eye with the Crystalens out - it is uncomfortabe- I feel that I have been conned and would warn all thiose considering an IOL to steer cxlear of this fraudulent product.
All of these posts underscore the need for the eye surgeon to be very careful in selecting patients who are candidates for presbyopia correcting lenses, and to share UP FRONT with their paitents that there can be drawbacks with them.

This thread, and many other threads here about these lenses, illustrate the fact that there is considerable difference of opinion among eye surgeons about their efficacy.  Dr. Oyakawa is a proponent of Crystalens and has one in his own eye.  My own eye surgeon does not care for Crystalens at all and no longer implants them -- he favors ReSTOR, However, neither Dr. Oyakawa nor Dr. Hagan are fans of this lens.  Bottom line is that presbyopia correcting lenses are riskier than monofocals -- they are not a panacea and persons contemplating these lenses owe it to themselves to do their own research and ask LOTS of questions.
I, too, had cyrstalens implanted in both eyes.  Before the implant, I could not see far but could see real good close. I am a CPA and work constantly with figures. Before the implant, I worked 9 to 10 hours a day close-up with my naked eyes.  Now, I too must look for reading glasses that I keep misplacing.  If I had my druthers, I would rather see close-up and wouldn't mind saving the $8,000.00 it cost me for the cyrstalens.  The advertisement was a fantastic sale with Florence Henderson stating how great her vision was after the crystalens implant.  I had Lasik in both eyes about four months after the crystalens implant and the middle of this month had a Yag procedure.  I still can not see close without reading glasses and I am still paying the loan ($8,000) for my crystalens for the next two years.
jo,  i was just informed of this site and saw your name on this blog.  I think you just emailed me not long ago.  
Jeff

I have retina problems due to "repair" of macular hole. Please tell me name and city of this doctor who can fix such things.
***@****
crystaltricks,
this is NOT a forum to "round of the troops" to file class action lawsuits.  There are plenty of greedy lawyers that will take your case so STAY OFF of this forum!  It is for people to get medical help not create more lawsuits!!
I just had Crystalens implants 7/24 and 8/9.  I, too, was taken in by the Florence Henderson video playing on a loop at my eye doctor's office in the waiting room.  I was told nothing of the possible problems, but that it would be such a big improvement from the cataracts I was dealing with at the time.  I know I should have done more research and checking into this procedure, I was too trusting, my fault.  I just wonder how do I know what questions to ask when I've never done this before?  Shouldn't the doctor have explained all the possible problems?

I can see better far away, but can not see near without my glasses at all... before I could see some.  I'm sad, but what I've read from the posts here is there isn't much hope for things getting any better.  My doc told me the halos I see - my brain will eventually adjust to them and I won't "see" them anymore... is this true?
Who and where is the surgeon that fixed your eye? I may want to try him.
Did you get any help at Mayo?
Have you considered going to a Retna Specialist and having an Ultrasound done of your eyes, which may be the vehicle to determine if the Crystal Lens is defective or damaged?
Stop trying to scare posters at this site with tales of greedy lawyers waiting to pounce on the poor doctors.  I know there is much enmity betwee lawyers and doctors and for everyone of my doctor friends who were unfairly sued I know of a friend who was damaged by a doctor and could only find help from a lawyer who agreed to sue for damages.  Face it, both doctors who charge a fortune for implanting crystalens and lawyers who make money in malpractice businesses are no saints.  But there is obviously a very real problem for some users of the crystalens and there seems to be no remedy.  I, like many others am suffering from poorly accomodating crystalens and who are seriously upset because they have lost previously good vision and are not content.  If I hear one more doctor say that it is our fault because we are "perfectionists" and "too demanding" I will scream.
I am experiencing the same smearing in my vision, and I had Crystallens implanted - it has been 3 years and my vision is still a mess - I have to use cheaters to do close up and many times computer reading.  I'm happy to hear Crystallens can be explanted - my doctor has told me they can't.  Can you please tell me who your doctor is - that is experienced in doing this procedure.  However, if this isn't a choice for me, I plan to see if I can wear mono-contacts, as my distance and close up are bad.  I had mono-lasik prior to Cataract Surgery, and was told Crystallens would work fine if implanted, however, with what vision I do have, it is mono vision.  I have a friend who had mono Restore Lens implanted and they work great.

crystalens installed SEPT.2011 was great for 8 months except SLOW to refocus and never good at distance..then began to slowly get worse till Dec. 2012. at this time it is like looking through a glass smeared with vaseline plus when watching writing an TV there is a "ghost image (double vision) offset by one letter thus blurring the entire line of print. right eye implanted Nov,2011 has been good except for 3 to 4 block focusing close up (10 inches) very good both eyes. anybody with anything similar with a solution other than PRK?
I have a retina defect caused by a botched mackular hole repair. can you give me the name and location of the retina specialist that fixed yours?
cartertech  at gmail.com
As I am a fan and regular follower of Jodie's posts, I know the answer just in case she doesn't happen to read this.
It was Dr. Charles in Memphis that I believe she was extremely happy with, right Jodie ?
I had Crystalens implanted in both eyes in Aug. 2012 and had extreme photophobia and poor vision immediately after the surgery. The vision improved in October and November but started getting worse and was told I need the "yag" in both eyes. Had that done in January and light sensitivity and vision got much worse. I went to Johns Hopkins eye center and Duke and was told there was nothing wrong with the lenses and I must have blepharospasm. I had the Botox and that didn't help. I felt all along there was something wrong with the lenses but I could not find anyone to exchange them. I finally got the original surgeon to exchange the left one on Sept. 4 and within 8 hours I could see clearly and the light sensitivity was much better in that eye. The other one will be done on Sept. 25. The surgeon said the one in the right eye popped right out. He put in a monofocal lens with UV protection and filtered for blue light. I went through an awful time and no one would believe me that there was something wrong with the lenses. I will let everyone know how the left eye does next week.
My other eye was done yesterday with the same positive results as the one done 3 weeks ago. Again, the entire Crystalens popped out easily, and that was after almost 14 months in the eye and a "yag" done in January. I am going to report my experience to the FDA and try to get some money back from Bausch + Lomb for my out-of-pocket expenses. Don't let a doctor tell you that these lenses cannot be removed after a year and after a "yag".
I'm 60 years old and had crystalens implants in April and may 2013.   The dominant eye was set for distance and the non dominant eye was set for near.  My vision is great outdoors, but blurs under indoor lighting.  My eyes feel uncomfortable and have pulling sensations to focus. I have eye pain in the evenings from the strain.  It is uncomfortable to watch TV with the backlight.  The doctor suggested LASIK to match my non dominate to the dominate eye.  Even with a contact in one eye to correct for distance  vision, my eyes feel strained by mid day.  Does anyone have a suggestion for an opthamologist on the west coast that has experience with crystalens problems?
I live in seattle and had crystalens implanted 3 months ago.  I am having all of the problems that everyone else is having.  Does anyone know a surgeon in the seattle area that specializes in removing these lenses and/or fixing the problems?
My original post was LarryB0823 Feb 17 2012.  My problems continue but after this experience - I will always have a form for the doctor to sign that acknowledges that he or she is qualified, capable and willing to correct any problem arising from a surgical procedure. We are required to sign many forms acknowledging WE accept risk including death every time we have a procedure.  It is totally reasonable to ask a doctor if he can correct any problem. If they refuse - you need to go to another doctor.  My doctor said " he never makes a mistake- he is the best in the country". After weeks of problems and even his own staff reporting I could not see - he refused to accept this and also refused to attempt any correction.
Hello Seattle Resident - I am about to have cataract surgery and trying to decide between crystal lens and tecnic multifocal. Can you tell me where you had your surgery done?
I had a Crystalens implanted on 2 Jan 2014 and it's been just over 1 week now.  I was directed by my doctor to use reading glasses (+1.5 power) for the first week and after that to start reading without them.  I am working on the little card I was given and it was discouraging right off the bat because I could hardly read anything on the card.  I'm 51 and had a cataract just starting to impair my vision in my dominate eye so I went to a reputable Dr. and he said I was well qualified for any lens I chose.  I asked about the Crystalens and he said absolutely.  There were no warnings given except a disclaimer that any lens I got existed the possibility that I might need glasses.  Of course that was downplayed.

So I took the plunge and paid for it with high hopes that this lens would be the one.

Currently it's still a bit odd looking through this lens (hard to describe) but it is much better than when I had the cataract.  I do feel my outcome will be favorable as well.  My only concern right now is distance viewing.  Distances from 18" to about 40' are in very good focus.  Put something beyond 40' and it starts to be out of focus.  I am very particular about my focus.  I probably spend an extra 10 minutes with the eye doctor getting my prescription for glasses than the average individual.

So I guess I'm writing here to ask if there is something besides reading this card that I can do to ensure the best possible outcome.
I am 65 and scheduled for surgery on both eyes next month. My doctor didn't recommend any multifocal lens or the crystalens. I got excited about the cyrstalens and the promise of better vision when I first read about them. But after reading the reviews and experiences of the crystalens on this site I'm thinking I should stay with the standard monofocal lenses and supplement my vision with progressive eyeglasses like I've worn for the last 20 years. If anyone has advice or suggestions I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.  Joe
My brother-in-law had cataract surgery (in Michigan) last year and received the Crystalens in one eye and then in the other eye a month later.
He is thrilled with the surgery and the lenses and says it only took a couple of weeks of "training"  the eye to see perfectly.  If he is tired or the light is poor, he will use a pair of reading glasses, but normally he reads without problems.
$2500 per eye out-of-pocket.  I think a lot of the complaints about the Crystalens are regarding the 1st generation of the IOL, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet.
I am 53 and just had cataract surgery on 1/22/14 on my left eye.  I have cataracts on both eyes from vitrectomy surgeries to repair macular holes.  I had wanted Crystalens.  I had laser cataract surgery with LRI for slight astigmatism.  After removing cataract I did not have good support for crystalens.  They put in the new Restor.  I can see distance like I never have experienced in my life.  Intermediate is excellent and only need readers if my eye is tired.  The downside is contrast sensitivity.  Granted it has only been a week.  Met with surgeon today and hope to have crystalens implanted in my right in a few weeks.  If it cannot be done I will have standard monofocal set for distance and use reading glasses.  I don't know about everyone else but there was no promise made that I ever would be glasses free just not so glasses dependent.  If I can watch TV, drive, work out at the gym, work in the yard, ride my bike, go for a run without glasses on my face or having to put a contact in my eye I will be a satisfied patient.  I am ok with cheater readers.  I will post my outcome on my second surgery.  Going to Associates in Opthamology in Pittsburgh Pa they have been wonderful.  
How have your results been with the crystalens?  Is you vision improving?
Thanks KayakerNC  for the info ... I also am in Michigan (Holland). I'm going in today for measurement of the lense to be implanted in two weeks. I will be asking about the lens options. I am still unsure if I'm willing to take the Crystalens risk since it's not like buying a toaster. You just can't return it if you don't like it ... lol. Are the aspheric monofocal lenses the standard lense used these days? Thanks.  Joe
I'm in eastern NC, so not as many choices in this area. I have a spreadsheet with a list of the questions I need to ask at an initial consultation, and I've added your aspheric monofocal question.  
I like the Light Adjustable Lens concept, be nice if the FDA got going and approved some of the IOLs that have been in use for many years in other countries.
In any event, your choice, and the reasons, will be appreciated.  Looking forward to your updates.
I got the eyes measured yesterday and spoke with the doctor. His recommendation for me is the Tecnis Aspheric lens. With the focus set for good near vision vs far vision. I've worn glasses for distance for the last fifty+ years so I think I'd be more comfortable with the same scenario. The only question I neglected to ask is ... What should I expect for my new distance vision compared to what I now have? ... better, worse, same? ... I'm worried that I might end up with worse far vision and thicker eyeglass lenses.
how did you do with your second eye?
Jodie I am 3 weeks out, of crystalens implant.  Reading all these is scaring the Hell out me because, I have never regretted anything more in my whole life.  I am a healthy active 47 year old. Who had had lasik surgery for distance 15 years ago which went perfectly.  I was told that to touch it up now would have to be done every 2 years and that if I touched it up I would loose the close up that I still had.  I opted for the crystalens as opposed to lasik as I was told that it would address both and be GOOD for life.  I am disoriented, I cannot see near or far with that eye, it is blurry and feels like I am wearing someone elses glasses that are fogged up.  All the activities I used to do have come to a stand still as I get dizzy very easy. I am willing to go to the best suregeon whereever he may be.  I am in Canada.   Any suggestions from anyone?