Eye Care Community
Maxidex after eye surger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Maxidex after eye surger

I recently had the first eye done - cataract extraction/iolens implant.  I have been prescribed Vigamox and Maxidex.  I am to take the Maxidex for 21 days.  In the accompanying prescription literature, it says that Maxidex should not be taken for more than 10 days.  Do you have an opinion on whether it is harmful to take Maxidex for more than 10 days?  Also, my vision is much blurrier than I expected, but after reading the forum I reckon that it is still too soon to tell.  Why do some eyes take longer to adjust than others after iol surgery?  Thank you.
Hello nearsited    Maxidex is dexamethasone a potent steroid. Most likely the insert will say do not take longer than 10 days unless directed to do so my a physician.  You should take the medication as your ophthalmologist surgeon recommends.

Each person is unique and can react differently to the same medication or surgical procedure. One person takes penicillin and it saves their life, another take penicillin, has a reaction and it takes their life.

JCH III MD Eye Surgeon
Thank you.  Another question please.  I have the Acrysof IQ implant.  The Alcon website says this is for spherical aberration and cataract.  The website says the Acrysof Toric is for astigmatism and cataract.  I have been told all my life that I have severe astigmatism.  I wonder why I was prescribed an implant for spherical aberration instead of for astigmatism.  A little late to be asking these questions, but perhaps you have an answer.  Thank you.
The Acrysof Toric lens is, I believe, a premium lens that costs extra for the implant and the surgical procedure. It is new and doesn't have a long track record.  Few surgeons have experience with this implant. We have had one posting of an unhappy patient with it.

Astigmatism can be dealt with in other ways: the placement and size of the surgical incision, incisions on the cornea or glasses worn over the IOL.

JCH III MD
Thank you.
i have surgury a few days ago and the doc prescribed me alcon maxidex ophthalmic for 1 week now i am at the 4 th day but still i cannot see a thing!!!!!!!