Eye Care Expert Forum
Medication Binds to Melanin

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Medication Binds to Melanin
What are the long-term effects of a psychotropic (lamotrigine) and its propensity for binding to melanin in the eyes?  Will a person lose vision in later life?  Does this phenomenon contribute to ARMD or increase one's risk for glaucoma or vision loss?  Can one ward off damage to photoreceptor cells or counteract the potential risk from medications?
Unfortunately the long term ocular side effects are still unkown for this drug.  So for now the drug does have FDA approval for appropriate use.  I wish I could answer your question - but I don't think anyone knows.

Michael J. Kutryb, MD
Thank you.   Is there anything comparable historically in terms of this ocular effect?