Eye Care Expert Forum
Metal fragment embedded in eye (for years)

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have had a piece of metal shrapnel from an industrial accident embedded in the surface of my eye for many years now. At the time there was no way I could have it removed since I was a young teenager and my parents neglected to take me for medical attention. Now that I am older I am thinking of having it removed and I am curious what the procedure entails?

I experienced quit a bit of pain immediatedly  after the incident but over the years it has bothered me very little and has not affected my vision. It is embedded just under the surface of the white part of my left eye. I am verylucky it did not strike the middle of my eye for I would certainly be blind in that eye.

The metal happened to be very heated (nearly red hot) when it struck my eye which is probably why it has never become infected or been rejected by my body. The fragment is composed of low grade steel alloy.
Hello John Smit,     In hunting accidents caused by shotguns or war injuries with shrapnel the surgeons often do not remove every piece of shrapnel, especially if its made out of a relatively inert metal. This is because complete removal may be impossible or the removal process may involve more risks that 'watchful waiting'.

It's likely that the material will not need to be removed since its caused no problems with many years of watchful waiting. Nevertheless you should see an ophthalmologist (eye physician Eye MD) for a comprehensive medical eye examination and evaluation to get a specific recommendation in your case.

This is a good opportunity to add that almost all eye injuries are preventable with proper eye protection and a measure of good sense. Summer time is eye injury time and my office is full of lawn mower, weed eater, softball and sports eye injuries.

WEAR PROPER EYE PROTECTION WITH ALL RACQUET AND CONTACT SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES THAT CAN PRODUCE EYE INJURIES (FIREARMS, FIRECRACKERS, POWER TOOLS, WELDING, 'METAL ON METAL' ACTIVITES [SPLITTING WOOD, ETC), PAINTBALL GAMES, BB GUNS, WEED EATER, GRINDING, ETC.     IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!!

JCH MD  Eye MD  (Ophthalmologist)