Eye Care Community
Migraine and optic neuritis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Migraine and optic neuritis

Hi there,

I think I had my first ever migraine yesterday. Everything was fine, good day at work, my boyfriend phoned me on his way to meet me at 5.30pm and by the time he arrived 5 mins later, I had a huge central blindspot in both eyes and couldn't see what I was looking at - even when staring directly at lights (terrified I thought ON was coming back!). Within half an hour central vision had started to come back, but peripheral was gone and I had a line of light across near the top of my vision. Within the next half an hour I'd had some trouble forming 2 separate sentences and my right hand had gone quite numb and heavy. Hearing went strange as sometimes happens when in a faint. An hour on and these symptoms were all totally gone, replaced by worst ever headache across top of eyebrow area, in temples and radiating particularly around right area. EXtremely photophobic and very nauseaus. I've looked it up now I'm a little better today and sounds like a classic migraine - could I be correct? I'd also had a little throbbing and tingling in my scalp/skull the day before.

Also, a few weeks ago I was quite worried as I had mild numbness of the right-hand side of my face, mainly only noticeable upon touch, also affecting my tongue and roof of mouth. At the time I was panicked as I was diagnosed with left optic neuritis in Feb, and although my ophthalmologist thinks no cause to worry about MS I feared this may have been the 1st syptom (symptom). It passed with 2 weeks or less, and now I've been reading up, I wonder if it could have been connected in some kind of build-up to the migraine? I have read that a lot of people experience facial numbness with them and your opinion would be much appreciated.

Alos, I have never had a migraine before - is there any link between ON and migraines? I have been discharged by my ophthalmologist, and pretty much aced all the vision tests on my last visit - he said I'd done so well in my 3 month recovery that I should have my normal vision fully back in under a year (for your background info!)

Any thoughts, opinions, advice, etc on the migraine (if that's what it was!) much appreciated.
Many thanks and best wishes
Holly :)
-8 Comments Post a Comment
No there is not a relationship between MS and migraine. Given you have new symptoms and new problems you should be re-evaluatied by your ophthalmologist and your neurologist.

JCH II MD