Eye Care Expert Forum
Milky vision after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Milky vision after cataract surgery
It has been almost 2 weeks since I had my catract removed from my rt eye. The first 3 days I was pretty impressed with my vision. Since then my eyesight has become hazy or milky. This morning it seemed slightly better but it came back after a few hours. There is no pain or anything. Is this fairly usual and is it temporary.
This is not normal.  You should see your surgeon to try to determine the cause of the poor vision.  It could be dry eyes since you describe that it comes and goes.  You could also have residual refractive error or possibly posterior capsule opacity, corneal swelling or cystoid macular edema.  All of these things would be easy to see on a quick eye exam.  Try to use artificial tears frequently, and call your surgeon so you can be seen right away to see what is going on.  

Michael Kutryb, MD
The haziness I am seeing is similar to what I see when I put in the lubricated eye drops when it wasn't happening. It is not real bad. Sort of like a day when there is a little smoke or fog.
Also, I went in for my first vist 2 days ago and mentioned this but was told everything looked good. It was not the same doctor that did the surgery but a staff Dr.