Eye Care Community
Mono vs Multi ocal Cataract lenses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Mono vs Multi ocal Cataract lenses

Age 51 have cataract in one eye due to prior injury as a child.  Wear variable lense eyeglasses.  Optometrist suggested monofocal lense for cataract surgery since I have to wear glasses anyway for other eye, surgeon pushing for rezoom multifocal lens.
Concerns are halos from rezoom lens.  Also, if other eye should eventually develop a cataract, if I get mono now then have to get mono lens in other eye?

What are your experiences with the positive/negative of these lens implants?
I am not a doctor; but I will tell you of my experience.  I recently had Rezoon lenses implanted on my doctor's advice since I did not want to wear glasses.  I now see DOUBLE in addition to halos and feel very incapacitated. I am checking with other doctors regarding explanting, which is making me very nervous.  My advice would be just go with the standard monofocal lens.  They are the least troublesome.  Check other posts on the unhappiness with Rezoom.  I wish I had found this site BEFORE my surgery.
Dr. Hagan recently posted on this site that the ReZoom has more associated problems than any other IOL.  There are many, many posts from unhappy ReZoom recipients.  On the other hand, I don't think that you'll ever regret the decision to get an aspheric monofocal lens.  I've found this type of lens to be totally problem-free.
In a show of hands at a meeting (last week) the ReZoom was dead last in satisfaction, many surgeons have abandoned it. No surgeon in the audience was willing to have a ReZoom put in their eye. Several were willing to have Crystalens, most chose monofocal IOL aspheric IOLs.

In my opinion the ReZoom and its technology is going to go the way of the Edsel and the Studebacker.

JCH III MD
      I have gone through so many articles on this site and others...hardly anyone is happy with any Multifocal lens...really seems a bad bet ...as my surgeon points out ..thse are lenses for vain people who do not wish to wear glasses atall...but very rarely will that be the case anyway...as the prescription ..particularly with high myopics(myself.. -20)...when thy do the Biometric tests ...it can never be gurantted tht you will have ' 0' prescription...and therefore you will have to wear spectacles ..all beit very low prescription.
Good luck and i would say stick with mono lenses...but do your own research.
My eye surgeon said I had cataracts.  In  broken English, he said ReZoom would allow me to see near, far and in between.  Who wouldn't jump at it. Only catch, $4000.00 out of pocket.  I was used to mono contacts. How I wish I had gone with just distance in one eye. I was only told their might be slight halo's.  HA!  LOOKS Like Christmas lights all coming at me at night which leaves me terrified.
I was his FIRST ReZoom lens.   And he was not warm and friendly.
I feel I was ripped off big time.  This is an older doctor who had done many lens but I was first ReZoom he had done and Company Representative had to be there for first lens he put in.  I should have stopped then.  My eyes water a lot,  night vision is frightening leaving me unable to drive at night.  I can't read up close. I can see at a distance fairly well.  It has been almost six months. Is there any recourse?  If lens is put in and no laser used, it should be able to be changed back. I do NOT want same doctor but why should I pay another?  Would to God, I had only one done.  He never said ten words to me and was not gentle in surgery.  What alternatives are there?
Your options are limited and basically boild down to leaving things are they are or have the ReZoom explanted and a high quality monofocial aspheric IOL like the Tecnis put in.

If you see another surgeon you will be expected to pay full price for this.

The other option is return to the original surgeon and ask that the IOL be exchanged and that he accept insurance payment as full payment and write off the rest.

JCH III MD
Your portion of the payment to have your ReZoom explanted depends on your insurance coverage.  It might be as little as $300 or less; there is no out-of-pocket charge for a Tecnis lens like there is with ReZoom.  So check with your insurance rep; it might be well worth the expense to see a different surgeon.

If you do opt for a lens exchange, it's probably important to have it done by a surgeon who has lots of experience doing this procedure.
-