Eye Care Community
Monovision and Labyrinthitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Monovision and Labyrinthitis

I had cataract surgery 6 weeks ago and was given monovision. I now have severe labyrinthitis and nystagmus. Onset was sudden and I've had no health problems prior. I was having trouble adjusting to the monovision, especially where distance at night was concerned. Now I am confined to bed with vertigo and nausea. Could the monovision be the source of my labytinthitis? My ENT is baffled.
-6 Comments Post a Comment
No Way.

JCH III MD
As an adult I was diagnosed with slight nearsigntedness and wore glasses.  Later on I needed bifocals but only when wearing correction for the nearsightedness.  By removing my glasses, I could see up close.  My eye doctor suggested a single contact lense.  This provided monovision, and worked very well.  The right eye (contact lense) was corrected for nearsightedness and the left eye could read up close.  However, the downside was that I became very sensitive to motion.  
Prior to using the monovision, I enjoyed boating and kayaking. Now the motion of the water causes severe nausea and seasickness.  
Well? You haven't adjusted to monovision. That is a complication of monovision. You're going to have decide what you want to do wear glasses or put up with being nauseated all the time. For most people that's not even a hard decision and glasses are the way to go.

JCH MD