Eye Care Community
More Information

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

More Information

Hello.  I am 32 yrs. old.  I recently posted that I had a complete PVD in right eye and almost complete PVD in left eye, retinal tear repair on right eye, and discovered I have lattice degeneration in both eyes.  My question is as I get older because of the lattice degeneration does my risk of RD increase as I get older or does the PVD stabilize my lattice and chances for RD?  What is the prognosis for my future?  Can I expect more dire things to come concerning my eyes?  My prescription is right eye -5.25/-0.50/180 and left eye -4.25/-0.50/180.  Being at my age this really has me concerned as to what the future holds for my vision.  It is like my life has come to a stand still.  I have a 2.5 yr. old son that I so desperately want to see grow up and hope and pray he doesn't have the problems I have.  My wife wants to have another child, but after all that has happened to me I am so terrified to have another child.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
The risk diminishes as you get older. About 7-9% of the population has lattice in their eye (including me in both eyes) and only in a very very tiny number does it lead to retinal detachment or poor vision. So live your life the the fullest. Make a list of your questions and review them with your ophthalmologist. Make your major life decisions assuming you will see well all your life.
JCH MD
Thank you Dr. Hagan.  I thought I may be overly concerned but I have never had any health issues until now.  With my degree of myopia is there any other risks I need to be concerned about?  I never really knew my myopia was a dangerous condition.  I have always been an energetic, fun loving person but all this has took a lot of the wind out of my sails.  Thank you.
Simple myopia is not a dangerous condition and even moderly high myopia up to about -7 to -8  is generally not accompanied by severe visual problems  No reason not to remain energetic and fun loving.
JHC MD
What constitutes me as having simple myopia and not pathological myopia, Dr. Hagan?  Thank you.
Sorry, but I have a couple more questions Dr. Hagan.  With all that I have had go on would I be considered a pathological myope or can these problems be experienced in simple myopia as well?  If I were a pathological myope would my retina specialist have informed me or would he have been able to tell by just one visit/surgery?  I am sorry but this is a scary time for me and I greatly appreciate the time you take to answer my questions Dr. Hagan.  
You are a moderatly high myope but that does not mean you are going to have retinal detachment, or myopic macular degeneration.  You will need to discuss your other concerns with your ophthalmologist.
JCH MD
Thank you for the response Dr. Hagan.  I talked to my retina specialist today and he relieved alot of my worries today.  Another question I have for you is the current eyeglass RX I am wearing is OD -5.25/-0.50/180 and OS -4.25/-0.75/180.  The glasses I had before were OD -5.00/-0.50/180 and OS -4.00/-0.50/180.  To me the weaker prescription seemed more "comfortable" as far as reading and distance though the stronger may be a little better at distance but it seems like reading with stronger glasses becomes straining after a while.  With my naked eye I can focus on small print all the way up to my nose but not with the stronger prescription.  My question is should I tell my optometrist that I prefer the weaker prescription for all around usage or would a .25 diopter make that much difference?
There are many variables in glasses besides the power. If you're having problems take the new and old RX in to the optom that prescribed. Usually this "glasses recheck" is done at no charge. Inquire.
JCH MD
I went to another optometrist today Dr. Hagan and she gave me a contact prescription of R -4.25 and L -3.75.  The glasses prescription she gave me was OD -4.50/-.25/005 and OS -3.75/-0.25/180.  She said that with my prescription she corrected my vision to 20/20.  The previous prescription I had from another optometrist was OD -4.75 and OS -4.25 for contacts and  
OD -5.25/-0.50/180 and OS -4.25/-0.50/180.  After she got done I told her the difference in the two prescriptions and she said that I had been overcorrected for a long time.  Sure makes me feel better about my vision.  Does this happen often Dr. Hagan?