Eye Care Expert Forum
Multifocal Lens Implants

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Multifocal Lens Implants
I would like to choose multifocal lens implants for my cataract surgery next month to lessen the need for glasses or contacts in the future. However, after using mono vision contact lenses for 15 years, I am concerned that my brain will have trouble making the transition to the multifocal lenses. Can you tell me about the chances for success? Would monovision lenses be a better choice for me?
Many Eye MDS would say you are an ideal candiate for monovision with monofocal Aspheric IOLs since you've worn contacts and are happy and adjusted to that vision. Other advantages: less expensive, less chance of complication, better night vision.

Our current choice of aspheric state of art IOL Tecnis

use the  search feature and review the many posts here from patients unhappy with multifocal IOLs

JCH II MD