Eye Care Expert Forum
Multifocal Lens'

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Multifocal Lens'

After cataract surgery I had a multifocal lens, Restore put in. My close and middle distance is OK but my distance is blurry, dull and at night there are halos and streaks from the lights. The doctor said that as the cornea is healing the lens moved slightly. It is the correct lens. He verified it with the manufacturer and redid my tests. He said that when the cornea heals he will do lazik surgery to correct the problem. This could take months. In the meantime it is very annoying. I don't want to wear a contact lens or glasses even temporarily. My question is how long will it take to heal and is this common?
Thank you.
The problems with the ReStor IOL have been discussed at length. use the search feature and archives to read about them. At times they never clear up

CJH MD
As Dr. Hagan said please check the archives from the expert and member forums on Restor.  It is good that you have okay vision at close and middle distance since Restor is not known for its mid distance, better at close and far. Lasik may help with distance. Most multifocal users do in fact require glasses for some tasks contrary to what manufacturer's of these lenses lead you to believe.
I wound up having my Restor explanted, but that was because of it being the wrong strength and also many problems.
Try to be patient while your cornea heals and you can ascertain just what your results will be.  You may need to wear glasses or contacts temporarily in order to have reasonable and functional vision, which is after all what you are after.
londonbridge
-
Based on the information you posted, it sound like your ReStor has made you mildly nearsighted.  From what I've read, LASIK can usually be done to correct this about 3 months after surgery.  As londonbridge stated, you may need to wear glasses or contacts to correct your distance vision temporarily.  You could get a second opinion about this if you want.  
Dear GloriaNevada,

Sometimes, the vision is not as expected with implants.  If he can correct the acuity with a refraction, then LASIK will help.  Why not wear a glass or contact lens to assist you now if you are having difficulty?

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California