Multifocal Lenses IOL
Are multifocal IOL's still as out of vogue as they seem to have been in all the discussions on this board in the 2007 up to 2010 era. Or have there been vast improvements in the technologies used in them now we are in 2012.
Feeling a little anxious about my impending insertion of a multifocal lens due to alot of posts placed on here in that era (and I genuinely thanks those who have posted), but is it only people who have had problems who post on here as I dont seem to see many positive reponses, but one person pointed out to me, that all the people who have had positive experiences are unlikely to get onto a forum like this and comment..... What do you think, agree or not?
PS this is not meant to be a provocative question, just trying to get a feel for things in the IOL world.
Use the search function.  I rarely use multifocal IOLs for the following reasons:
1)  About 5% of patients do not adapt to the glare and halos, 2) Near vision in low light is often poor, 3)  Intermediate vision is not as good as distance or near (but better than previous multifocals), 4) Potential for future macular problems to decrease vision more than a mono focal or accommodating IOL.

My preference is an accommodating IOL with minimonovision.  They are essentially a mono focal IOL that has some focusing ability.  Most patient have good distance and intermediate vision.  Many have to use a +1.00 over-the-counter readers.  The Crystalens is harder to implant and require more follow-up visits than multifocals.  I have a Crystalens AO in one of my eyes.

Dr. O.