Eye Care Expert Forum
Multifocal misery-still seeking guidance

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I  feel some of  the  guiding information I am seeking about my difficulties with the Restor multifocal IOL have  not  been addressed  as directly as I had hoped.  
PLEASE advise on anything to help me move forward, such as to now know WHAT TO ASK the current doctor and WHAT to do, ask and how to prepare when I go for the appointment made for a second opinion.  
The crux of my concern is WHY does all my close, near and intermediate vision vary so much in quality and clarity with the slightest  changes in lighting conditions, from sharp & clear only in sunlight (if it was always like this I would not complain) to not sharp and blurry/ghosted in the house to barely seeing even with reading glasses in a dim place such as a restaurant? I feel like I went from nearsighted to farsighted, with a big  lighting issue problem. No improvement and it is 4 &1/2 weeks after the first eye was done. I’ve been using lubricating drops and  I just started having the sensation like something is in that one eye and there is one small spot of very blurry vision. Now I’m worried something else is wrong and maybe I shouldn’t wait a week for my scheduled check-up.(2nd opinion appointment is after this)
How do I find the best and safest options for correction and improvement, is it possible to achieve this?  And if explanting is the answer HOW do I find or know if a doctor has the necessary expertise to do this?
I hope my questions are answerable, so thanks for any insight and suggestions how to proceed.

I agree with psuoh, there can be an adjustment period following multifocal lens placement and given the fact that you have only one lens in place, the two eyes may not be working well together so I would have your surgeon test your vision in the eye with the implant alone to get a better idea of how your eye is adjusting to the new lens rather than factoring in the combination of both eyes.  
Perhaps you need to give it more time to heal and your eyed.adjust to the iol.  
It took me about 3 months for my eyes to adjust to IOL...
There are also laser touch up procedures for fine-tuning if the target refraction is a little off so I wouldn't jump to explanting the lens just yet.
sorry for not being clear, the second eye was done a week after the first, because of the working together concept, so I feel that I stupidly sacrificed my vision more by doing this, nothing has improved. It was just that my right, the 1st eye, was experiencing an irritation feeling, and might have been the lubricating drops, told eyes were a bit dry. I  was never fully informed of this decrease in sharpness  problem , or how much my former nearsighted, close-, could see clear with no glasses vision,- was going to be compromised, though I kept saying I did not want to lose this. The fact that my close vision diminishes rather severely in sharpness as light changes even by a little, is apparently a problem with Restor (I received an email of the same situation answered in the past, also dismayed to read improvement can take 6-12 months?). Is explanting the only way to correct this? I'm going for a second opinion with a renowned Dr in another state. Though I feel the first doctor is an excellent surgeon and likeable, nothing turned out as he inferred, including assuring me  all would be fine and I would enjoy my better vision (LOL) by my son's wedding next week when I asked if I should wait on the surgery until afterwards.  At  a recent visit to recheck because of my concern, he said he would change them if I wanted, just to wait and try the lubricating drops first. Depending on what each will tell me, how do I decide what to do and who to choose?  or is explanting the only solution to correct this problem? I am not happy or able to funtion well without some better near vision, I'm an avid reader and used to enjoy intricate crafts and sewing that my near vision easily allowed, now I don't have any sharp focus to do this.
.
I think options of altering your refraction are glasses, contacts, laser correction on your corneas, or explantation.  I am not a refractive surgeon so I would get some opinions regarding pros/cons of the later two since the first two do not require surgery and thereby easily reversible.