Eye Care Community
My Daddy is seeing grid patterns and honeycomb patterns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

My Daddy has glaucoma which has been managed for 50 + years. He has had surgeries for cataracts, glaucoma, etc.
He is 83 years old.

He is now seeing grids when he looks at things. They go from grids to honeycombs shape. He has talked to his opthamologist, family doctor, neurologist, no ones has ever heard of this problem. They tell him they will do some research but they have no answer.
PLEASE has anyone ever had these symptons? PLEASE!!!

Thank you very much.       Joanne
See a neuroophthalmologist. Find one a t www.aao.org

JCH MD
My fiancee is seeing the same thing. She is just 51. She just went to the Neurologist and they did an MRI/MRA. They want to do a Spinaltap to rule out MS. I have looked it up and it is a symptom of MS. I am not saying that this is what it is but I would get him checked out soon.
-
I've been seeing multi colored grid lines upon waking from sleep for the past several months. The lines usually alternate between red, blue and yellow and can be either very, very dull or very prominent. Yesterday morning they were the most pronounced I've ever seen them while this morning they were almost impossible to see. The lines typically fade away within 5 minutes of waking up.

My eye exams come up clean and so my opthamologist feels its related either to anxiety or depression. The problem is I'm not even remotely depressed and when I see the grids I'm waking from a dead sleep so anxiety seems like an odd fit. Even still my treatment is at a dead end until I either seek mental help or self diagnose. I've had too many tests and seen too many physicians.

All that said here's my personal theories (which, in all fairness, I should mention not a single physician agreed with):

1. It's possibly related to sleep depravation or a sleep disorder. I have a wide array of visual problems (dry eyes, flashing lights, halos, flickering, etc) and the severity of these problems varies widely. What I've found is that taking naps during the day (schedule permitting) and forcing myself to sleep longer hours seems to temporarily lessen the symptoms. Conversely my symptoms are most pronounced in the middle of the night when I'm woken up form a dead sleep.

2. There could be an inflammation component. If I experience the symptoms during the day and take an anti-inflammatory medication the symptoms will temporarily diminish. I'm certain that my opthamologist feels this is a psychosomatic reaction but I also suffer from arthritis and my eyes do have a continuous dull aching pain.

Of course you can't simply discount depression or anxiety (the favorite diagnoses of physicians everywhere) as they could legitimately play a significant role here. I'm just not yet convinced they are the root of my problem so I'm trying to give you some feedback from my own personal perspective.
Look beyond a physical/medical reason for this and realize that your father is seeing one of the geometric organizers of the Universe.  Yay for him and all others seeing this.  I see it also as do some of my friends on occasion.  We're all good!  Have a great day!
I don't know if this thread is still open, but I saw a perfect rectangular grid pattern floating in front of me after I shut off my cable TV.  I could still see it on the ceiling above me when lying in bed.  The next morning, I woke up with a retina detachment.  I drew the grid pattern on a piece of paper for my eye surgeon and he said he doesn't know what I saw and that most people see random patterns, not perfect grids.  Could this have something to do with cable TV's broadcast?
I've been working with a healer as an apprentice for many years, and as I work on myself and meditate daily, new experiences seem to happen. For example, after each meditation session, I see a yellow honeycomb grid (looks like geometric shapes and disappears after 1 minute or so) all over my room. When I meditate deeply, it's always brighter.  I also see a rectangle grid sometimes upon waking from sleep. When I meditate, I sometimes see faces (not scary, but have been told they are faces of my guides). While it may sound crazy, I know I'm not crazy, ill, or have problems with my eyes. I think it's very good to look beyond the physical for the reasons behind what you are experiencing. I've been told that the honeycomb grid is a healing grid. It may not be the case, but it sure feels much better to get a message of hope versus fear. Good luck...
I've been seeing the yellow honeycomb grid a few times a week for the past two months.

It always happens immediately after a snooze at my computer while I face a white background on my monitor. The grid usually disappears after two or three seconds, ten seconds at most.

So I had my eyes checked by an eye doctor. Nothing wrong detected. Next I had an MRI test on my brain by a brain specialist. The verdict? Nothing wrong detected so far.
even with my eyes closed i see a dull yellow honeycomb shape.  it's in a fixed position, never moves.  obviously cannot tell which eye it emanates from as can see it when eyes are closed or open.  it first appeared 6 months ago after i saw bright white flashing streaks of light for about a week, which went away and left behind the honeycomb shape.  which slightly distorts my ability to see and read.  It is always there and always looks the same.  It doesn’t change shape or color.

went to an ophthalmologists for a dilated eye exam and she said possible minor fluid detachment (or something to that effect), which is normal for my age and it is nothing major to be concerned with.  i'm not satisfied with that answer and want to know if there is a solution.

had a regular eye exam and doc said it's probably brain related.

I’ve had vitreous floaters for 20 years now.  age 48.
It has been a year since you post your feeling about the Honeycomb pattern and I’m curious to know if you diagnosed for the reason to that?  I myself have the same symptom for months now, I did MRI/MRA, visit neurologic,  Ent  doctor and few eye doctors,  but  all came negative, please let me know  if you have any news to share so I can direct my effort.