Eye Care Community
My eye is poofy and practically swollen shut

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

So I woke up this morning to find my left eye really poofy and practically swollen shut and I thought it must have been from me keeping my contacts in while I slept.  The wierd thing is that there is no puss or any other type of white or yellow (or any other type of) residue coming from the eye.  And the eye is white, no redness whatsoever which would lead me to think the eye isn't irritated at all.  So because there was no residue and the eye wasn't irritated I thought I could just sleep it off, well I've just slept for about 6 hours and the eye is still poofy and almost completely shut yet there is still no residue and the eye is still white, any help on what's the deal here and how I can treat it (quickly as I don't want to have to call in sick a second straight day)??????

P.S. I tried the doctor forums but it wouldn't even let me post a question saying there were already too many questions posted for the day or something like that...

The quicker I get a reply on how to get my eye back to normal the better, thanks guys!!!
Hello Jester123  If the eye is white and clear, there is no discharge and the vision is good the eye itself is probably not the problem. Ther are two things that are common that might cause this: first an early stye or eyelid infection. Usually there is a place on the eyelid that is painful and tender to touch. Second if the lid is swollen but not tender or red it may mean that there is an allergic reaction involving the eyelid. Often its something that was inadvertently rubbed on the lids such as chemicals, plant herbicides, insecticides, solvents, ink, facial cosmetics, hair coloring, etc. The list is endless.

Home treatment is probably limited to warm or cool compresses. If Benadryl over the counter doesn't make you sleepy you could try that. Fallback is to see an ophthalmologist tomorrow if you're no better.

JCH III MD Ophthalmologist     Eye MD
Hi my husband went to sleep a couple of hours ago and we were woken up by our 2 year old when i looked at him his eye was swollen half closed very watery and he told me it was hurting, i immediately turned the light on and the inside of his eyeb(not the iris) looks like it has a bag of watery discharge that wants to pop in there. Im scared, should we go to the hospital or try home remedies? Help please.
If he is not sick, seem ill, no temperature, no pain in eye, no reduced vision then usually an ER visit is not necessary.  During the summer months we see a lot of this in the office. It's like a "hive" on the eye. The medical name for it is "chemosis".  It's usually allergic in nature. When only in one eye the cause is often something that has gotton on the hands and been rubbed into the eyelids. Often it occurs after yardward or handiwork.  

Systemic allergies like hayfever or food allergies usually affect both eyes.

JCH III MD Ophthalmologist     Eye MD
Hey, My boyfriend's eye usually swells 3 or 4 times a month sometimes.However it is a typical swell, it swells at the corner the entire upper lid almost up to the eyebrow, and the lower lid as well its always only one eye at a time and switches to the other rarely.He says he can feel it coming because it starts to itch, sometimes it swells and acts like it will stop and  suddenly start back up again. He told me its been going on for 2 maybe even 3 years now. Nothing stops it once it starts and the medicine he takes? it acts as if it didn't even do anything at all . He takes eyes drops if he knows for a single second he will be exposed to dust and such, always wears glasses when outdoors, and washes out he eyes out when ever he feels it coming, and right before bed if it is swollen he takes two benadryl tablets and puts more drops in , and only wakes up it find it worst. It happened lastnight, so bad he had to miss work, because safe regulations will he allow him to work if his vision in temperarly impaired.Is his immune sysytem low, or does he have allergies that BAD? Can you please tell me what he should take? does he need a higher dosage, something stronger? what is this called and what can we do? thank you so much
Sorry I can't tell you any of those things. It requires an examination of the eye. He should get in to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist. Ask your family MD to refer you or if you live in USA go to www.geteyesmart.org and find one near your.
JCH MD
I have the same problem...has been going on for about three years now. One eye swells, sometimes completely shut. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck finding an eye specialist that knows what is causing it. They always want to call it an allergy or contact dermatitis. I'm pretty sure it is neither because the meds they prescribe really do nothing for it. The swelling is mostly gone after 36-48 hours depending on severity. My next stop: a visit to a "neuro opthamologist" (if I'm spelling that correctly). I had a skull fracture years ago and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the recurring swelling. I will post information on the doctor's findings. Please do the same if you have any luck. Thanks!
-
I have a metal plate in my left eye, just woke up today and yesterday with that eye swollen shut. should I go get a ct to see if something is wrong? maybe its infected?
Call your ophthalmologist and/or your personal physician immediately and try and get in today  if not possible consider going to the emergency room

JCH MD
Hello, my left top eye lid is swollen to where my eye is almost shut. It has been like this for the last 7 days now. My lymph node on the side of my neck (left side) is swollen too and hurts to touch. Doesnt seem to be getting better. Saw my PCP yesterday and started me on Amox Clav and Benadryl. Nothing seems to be getting better only worse. Today it looks like a thin layer of film is trying to cover the inside of my eye.
Ask for a referral to an Eye MD ophthalmologist.
JCH MD
hello sir. I moved to UAE about 2 months ago. From last two weeks when I woke up in the morning my eyes are swollen and also the under eye area. the area around my eyes got very sensitive. what should I use, the area around eye turning to dark colour also. my age is 26. im very worried, please help me
Since that is a hot dry environment using artificial tears during the day and at bedtime would be helpful and avoid air blowing on your face when you sleep it dries the eyes out.  Use the search feature and archives and read about the treatment of dry eyes.

JCH MD