Eye Care Expert Forum
My eye is sinking in... i don't know what to do..

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi, I'm 16 years old, and over the past few years, I've noticed that my right eye has been sinking back into my head. My eye sight hasn't been affected that much (only the appearance of them has), though in the mornings, it does seem kind of blury. But the thing is, my right eye hasn't really bothered me until recently. I always thought that it was going to go away, but it isn't.

I sometimes get these small pains (probably like a migrane (migraine) or headache) inside around the right side of my head, and I also get small pains right above my eye and under the brow bone. Also, it seems like the right side of my face is getting a bit droopy, like my right eye brow isn't symmetrical with my left eye brow, and my right eye's eye lid is looking droopy too. And being a teenager, this is a big deal.

I have already been to the eye doctor, and he said that my eyes looked fine, and that nothing is wrong with them (this was back in august), but I want to get checked out again. And I don't think that this is genetic, because I've seen photos of my family going back and I haven't noticed anything wrong with the appearance of their eyes.

I'm really scared, and I don't know what's wrong with me, and I am too scared to go and get it checked out, which I know I will have to do, and I will.

So my questions are:
1) Should I be going to get checked out by the eye doctor or my family doctor?
2) Whats wrong with me?
3) Is there any way that this can be fixed?

Thanks so much in advance.
  • brow lift (1 replies):
    I had lasik 2 years ago, my vision is great now! I suf...[more]
  • sunken eye? (1 replies):
    i have a problem regarding the appearance of my eye. i d...[more]
  • Eyebrow pain (1 replies):
    I get this brow pain, right on the bone, all along the b...[more]
Usually, a sunken in eye is related to a fracture of the eye socket, or severe weight loss with loss of fat volume in the orbit.  Recently some glaucoma medications (prostaglandins) have started to be investigated as possible causes as well.  I advise you see an ophthalmologist and he or she can measure the amount of protrusion of each eye to see if they are equal.  It might be that you just have genetically deep set eyes but, again, I think that you should have a complete eye exam second opinion to set your mind at ease.

MJK MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, sunken eye after surgery was started.
A related discussion, Sunken Eyes was started.