Eye Care Expert Forum
My eye lid moves when i eat

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My eye lid moves when i eat
My right eye lid moves up and down when I eat, it's worse when I look up and weakens when i look down. Can I fix this problem can I get more information. I never eat in public I am unable to do it as it attracts unwanted attention I've been like this since I was young. I am petrified. the fear controls my life.

thanks
There is a condition called jaw wink ptosis - where the nerves for chewing (5th cranial nerve) get mixed up with the nerves for eyelid closure (7th cranial nerve.)  The result is that when you chew - the eyelid can wink or close.  This can just be a condition you are born with and can sometimes occur after severe diabetic neuropathy (less common.)  I suggest you see a pediatric ophthalmologist - since they are very familiar with condition.  Treatment could be limited.  No specific way to fix it - but could talk with specialist to see what options are.  I will do a search to see what treatment options are available.

MJK MD
words can't describe how appreciative I am many thanks
A related discussion, Flickering of eye was started.