Eye Care Expert Forum
My eyes getting worse

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My eyes getting worse
At the age of 30, I had a case of wet macular degeneration about 6 months ago. My docotor calles it something else but is similar to wet AMD. Everything is stable for now and he is hopeful. My eyes went from 20/200 when it happen to 20/30 and sometimes 20/25 now.  

My problem is now it seems my vision in my "good" eye is getting worse. It checks out clear of any AMD but he did say I have dry eye and put my on Restasis.  Should I be worried or is the decrease in vision due to more strain on it because my other eye is now weaker.   ( I have glasses and with those I read with that eye 20/20 sometimes 20/25 on the eye test)

COMMENTS-ENCOURAGEMENTS
If you have a problem in the macula it should be easy to see if your doctor is skilled and has modern diagnostic equipment.  So, assuming there is nothing abnormal in the macula in the good eye - then it could be that your symptoms are due to dry eye possibly.  It is extremely important that you are getting proper diagnostic tests including OCT and fluorescein angiogram.  If all tests turn out ok then that should be a big relief.  By the way - out of curiosity - did you have central serous chorioretinopathy?  If so the prognosis if fairly good.

MJK-MD
He never mentioned central serous chorioretinopathy, He only mentioned severe mypoic problems -11.25 and -9.25
I didn't realize you had myopic degeneration.  Keep very close watch on your vision with amsler grid and keep regular follow up appointments.  I would also recommend strong anti-oxidant eye vitamins like AREDS preservsion, and also lutein and omega 3 fish oil supplements.  No promise that they will be a benefit but you need all the help you can get.

MJK MD