Eye Care Expert Forum
My eyes hurt when I move them...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My eyes hurt when I move them...

Yesterday evening (18th) I started to feel like my eyes were a bit heavy, and during the rest of the day, they began to hurt as if they are being restrained or stretched too far if I tryed to move them to the left, right, up or down.
I woke up this morning and it was the same, so I took some paracetamol to see if that helped, it did seem to help as it wasn't as bad for a while, although I was outside doing activities so I wasn't really focusing on it to notice.

I went to my opticians today as my new glasses were slipping off my nose, so whilst there I told her about whats happening, she said she hadn't heard of any thing like this before, but said as I have just got new glasses, my eyes may just be getting used to the change, she also said if it still hurts in a couple of weeks, I should go see my GP.
Its not effecting my vision at all, its just a mild kind of aching pain when I move my eyes too far in any direction.

I am a 17 year old female who is short sighted (I cant see things far away). I normally wear my contact lenses everyday, except in the mornings and at night when I take them out. I had a glasses eye test last Wednesday, they sad my eyes were healthy and they gave me a new glasses prescription which is a lot higher than my old pair, Ive been wearing these new glasses in the mornings and nights since I got them on Saturday. My contact lenses are now a slightly lower prescription compared to my new glasses, so I am hoping that my eyes are just adjusting to the changes. I do use the computer a lot and Ive just started to read my books in bed with just a lamp on, and I read on the Internet that it could be eye strain.

I am really worried that its something more serious, so any help etc would be greatly appreciated.

From,
Helen.
Tags: hurts, hurt, eyes hurt, eyes, Pain, help, vision, move
My first thought was that you could have irritation or inflammation due to the contact lenses.  Also, working on the computer and reading are also very likely to cause dry, tired and sore eyes.  Try taking some time off from your contacts, use artificial tears every few hours, and see an ophthalmologist for specific evaluation of your problem.  Make sure to try a week or so out of the contacts in the meantime.  Sinusitis or allergies can also contribute to these type of symptoms.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Kutryb Eye Institute
www.kutrybeye.com
Thank you for your advice!
Yesterday when I woke up my right eye was perfectly fine, and it was just my left eye when I looked to the left that still hurt a bit, so I took some more paracetamol. Then today I woke up and they are both fine. I will still limit my time with contact lenses in and my time on the computer and reading to make sure it doesn't happen again.
A related discussion, What's Wrong with my eye? was started.