Eye Care Community
My eyesight is getting worse - fast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

My eyesight is getting worse - fast

I recently visited my opticians since I seem to have had red and sore eyes for the past week, I have been recommended Optrex Infected Eye Drops. They are helping a little, but they are still red.

Anyway, whilst at the opticians, I had my prescription updated, apparently, my eye sight has worsened at unusually fast rate... the optician recommended that I returned in a year, however, I don't want to leave it that long.

Here is how much it has changed in the last 6 months:

Six months ago:

________   Sphere        Cylinder        Axis
Right:        -3.75        0.50        95
Left: -2.50        -1.25           100

And now:

Right:        -4.00        0.75        80
Left: -3.00        -1.50           100

I don't have the prescription from two years ago handy, but it was a substantially jump in prescription from two years ago to six months ago.

I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do now to help me eyes, I am forced (through work) to use the computer between 8 and 12 hours a day. More to the point, should I be seeking professional advice?

Hope to hear back soon.

Lee
The smallest change a lens power can make in the sphere and cylinder is +/- 0.25 diopter. So the changes are really very small (that's equivalent to one "click" on the phoropter the machine you look through to be tested for glasses.

Trying to keep your eye from getting more nearsighted or astigmatic is like trying to keep you height or feet from growing. Beyond your control. Use the computer all you need, it will not damage the eye or cause your prescription to increase.

JCH III MD