Myopic AMD
Good evening :) I have a question. What is the difference between dry AMD and myopic AMD. The doc said to me that because of my high myopia in my right eye a macular degeneration started. I noticed only a very little difference from my left eye. A little less contrast. and a mini atrophy hole in the very edge of my central vision. I even don't notice it if i a not concentrated.

My doc said that theres no help and like he has no time to discuss this with me.. He also said that everything depends.... but i am not satisfied with this answer because i want to know a little more. I did a research but i don't understand very well because i am not into that stuff.

Can i prevent this macular AMD to spread or progress?
What are the chances of progression?

I read all about dry AMD but my doc says that the dry AMD and the myopic AMD are not the same, because in dry AMD the photoreceptors dies because of chemical process in myopic dies because of physical process (enlarged macula). I am mid 20. My myopia is stable now for i think 10 years. i have the same prescription and i think that this degeneration happened a lot time ago i just didn't noticed it.

I am very grateful for your answer. Best wishes PATRICK W.
Use the search feature and archives to read about both progressive pathologic high myopic macular degeneration and age related macular degeneration. They are not the same but I would do everything for the myopic type that is done for the age type. Read the article on this page I wrote about macular degeneration.

There is no way to determine if your's will pregress or stay still.

JCH MD