Eye Care Community
Natural Remedies for brown spots on white part of eyes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I've seen cosmetic surgery recommended for brown spots on eyes (sclera membrane), but wondering if any natural cures work like coriander eye drops?  Also, has anyone reading this had the cosmetic surgery and can comment on how that went?

Thanks...

This discussion is related to Brown pigment on the white part of eye.
Most people usually ignore this as this is harmless & nothing to worry about.
You are very unlikely to find an eye MD that will do any cosmetic surgery on harmless freckle spots on the outer eye.
JCJH MD

I have the same issue with brown spots on my sclera...Could this be a result of over-usage of eye drops? I had dry eyes where I used eye drops throughout the day and at night I had to the ointment which soothed it, but as time went by I began to see more and more spots on the eyes. Also on the  bottom of my iris I see a brown smear running down the bottom part of the sclera. What could this be? Basically from far away my eyes look brown and with that I mean my sclera. There are some parts of my sclera that are white but one has to look very closely. What can I do about this? I know there is a doc in California that is known to do these kind of cosmetic surgery ( I- Brite) - Has anyone had this kind of surgery or any kind of sclera cosmetic surgery? If so it would be great if you could share your experiences and results. Thanks.
If you are black these pigmented spots are normal. In Asians and very heavily pigmented Caucasians these pigmented spots are not rare and usually totally benign.

Remember even if you have the cosmetic surgery more usually form and scar formation or redness post op could be much more of a cosmetic problem than a few freckles on the conjunctiva.

JCH MD
Could there be an inherent cause? I do have hepatitis B, but my hepatologist tells me that it is not the liver that is causing it. it started out with one freckle back in 2007 and now my sclera is covered in brown spots.
That would be unusual but do ask the GI and Eye MDs about it.

JCH MD
Or could it be excessive use of dry eye eye drops?
No definitely not dry eye drops.
JCH MD
How can I attached a photo(s) here?
a brown spot developed on the white of my eye. i want to remove it
will you do cosmetic surgery dr John C Hagan III?
Hey i know u posted this last year, although I have had the eye white procedure., in 2010 and i completely regret it. My eyes are worst than they where. They look worst than they were. When I wake up, my eyes are filled with crust. My vison is now blurry. My eyes hurt from time to time, and I am very light sensitive, and strain all the time. If I could take it back I would my eye where a little brown. No they are very brown, with blood vessels I never had, smh confidence low. I brite procedure, by boxler wacthler in L.A. has ruin my eyes maybe permantly, thats why Im on here now looking for a soulution
The white part of my eyes are brown.  This is horribly unattractive and I feel like a freak.  I am constantly stealing glances at others wherever I go to see if anyone else around me is experiencing the same thing. Everyone else seems to have white eyes and it wasn't until I decided to try google that I found other people who have this same situation. Eye contact while talking...forget about it.  Boyfriend...yeah right.  I am seriously trying my hardest not to let this keep me down and continue to effect my self-esteem, especially since I keep reading that there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it unless Im willing to risk unrepairable eye damage such as lose of vision, etc.  It's just seems so unfair, so ugly and so sad.  Yeah, crying is a real sight.
I have a similar issue with a brown stain growing on the white of my left eye. I'm looking to get it removed within a few months. Does anyone have any suggestions that are current? Please help.
Pure, raw, unadulterated organic honey. The blacker the honey the better; like Wildflower honey. Get it only from a health food store, not walmart nor grocery store. I had brown spots and pieces of fat on my white parts of the eyes. My whites always looked brown. Within 4 months they were gone. I'm still working on one stubborn one which has shrunk substantially. I pour honey in a cup and with clean hands, dip one finger in the honey and place a big drop of honey in each eye. I did this each morning after awakening and right before bedtime at night; sometimes during the day, too. Warning: the honey does burn for about 30 seconds but feels great afterwards all day! I believe the antibiotics in the honey and other natural medicinal properties help burn off these ugly, brown fat tissues. Glad to share this unknown secret!
Don't even consider the above treatment. It is never a good idea to put anything organic and unsterile in the eyes. Risks include infection and ulceration of the cornea. There is a lot of really bad advice on the internet. Honey is the eye is bad advice.  JCH MD
Unfortunately the bad information isn't merely on the internet, its often spread by "health food" stores like that poster refers to,  estheticians who fall for "natural" product scams who might push what she did (I met someone who was pushed all sorts if psuedo-scientific nonsense at a beauty school since it sells products). There is a religious-like view among many that something being "natural" magically means it is safe (though oddly such people don't demonstrate enough faith in their belief to eat "natural' hemlock, which would stop them   spreading that nonsense :-) ). You'll note the buzzwords "unadulterated organic" as if those  also magically  implied safety.   The ScienceBasedMedicine.org blog is a good resource discussing the unfortunately growing problem of quackery and its inroads into otherwise respectable medical schools, hospitals, clinics, government licensing, etc,   as is the related Society For Science Based Medicine: http://sfsbm.org/  

Too many  MDs fall for alternative medical quackery in addition to there being a growing number of "alternative"  practitioners  (even some  massage therapists try to go beyond massage to supposed medical "therapy" like"energy healing" nonsense).
This discussion was closed by MedHelp moderators.