Eye Care Expert Forum
Nearsighted in one eye & farsighted in other eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My 9 years old son is diagnosed with Anisometropia & OD has prescribed +1.0 , -1.0 for his eyes. I am surprised with this kind of abnormality. We have got him prescription glasses.

I had nearsightedness for 20 years of my life till I got lasic surgery done. So anisometropia is not hereditary. Why did he develop such abnormality?

What can we do to make sure his eyes improve & become balanced over time? We are vegetarians & I am looking into adding more Vitamin A & D foods into my son’s diet.

What are chances that his eyesight could improve over time? What can we do to ensure his eyesight doesn’t get too worse over his lifetime.

Dear Jains,

Has you son been examined by an eyeMD.  What is his vision in each eye?  Does he have a lazy eye due to the difference in prescription between the two eyes.  I would recommend that you seek the care of a pediatric eyeMD to  determine the best treatment.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California