Eye Care Community
Nerf Gun eye injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Nerf Gun eye injury

I was having a small Nerf war in my home. Another player fired a gun at me (this was not one of those modified Nerf guns, it was completely factory). It hit the side of my eye, at most 1/4 inch below it. I felt no immediate pain, and didn't notice any vision problems immediately afterwards either. Then, later that day, I started noticing my eye was watering a lot, but I thought this might be allergies. That was three days ago. I have been so swamped with work that I haven't had a chance to think much about it. I know this sounds strange, but I've been noticing for several days now that things look strange. My vision is still plenty clear, so I don't have blurred vision, or any other signs of a retinal detachment. However, I keep seeing these spots, much like the spots you see after looking at intense light. Also, sometimes I have trouble focusing on things that are fairly close to me, such as words on a computer screen and the instrument panel in a car. I think I may be seeing some increased light sensitivity, but that could just be my imagination. I also see faint rainbow halos around streetlights at night. I've seen halos for years now (I do wear prescription eyeglasses) but don't remember them ever being rainbow. Should I go see an eye doctor?
I forgot to mention that I have visually inspected the eye and can not see anything wrong. Also, I still seem to have the problem if I cover the right eye (the one that was hit). I seriously wonder if I'm just being paranoid.

P.S. The spots do not look like dramatizations of floaters that I've seen online.
Yes go see an oph;thalmologist Eye MD

JCH MD
Anyone else sustain an eye injury from a Nerf Gun?? I am aware of someone who alledgedly had a retinal detachment recently and the only thing he can attribute it to was a ricochet event from a Nef Dart when his son accidently shot it, it hit the ceiling and bounced back hitting him in the eye while laying down watching TV. At first he did not think much of it however his vision got worse and upon seeing an opthamologist a month later he required immediate surgery for reattachment of his retina.
=
The same happened to me at a birthday party in Nov. 2011. I had a detached retina diagnosed after my vision got progressively worse, and corrective surgery followed. I have waited months for my vision to improve, but it is still not right, even with glasses.
=