Eye Care Community
Nevanac eye drops

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Nevanac eye drops

Has anyone been prescribed Nevanac eye drops for post Vitrectomy/ERM peel surgery ?
I was prescribed to take this for 3 months (didn't even have the surgery yet) but the online medical information on it says not to take it for more than 14 days or there could be serious side effects.

I'm not big on "blind faith" with what any Doctor just says, especially when it contradicts the warnings to this extreme.
If anyone has any experience or information on Nevanac, it would be really helpful if you could share it.

Thank you !!!
Nevanac is an NSAID.  It was prescribed for me after cataract surgery along with prednisolone (a corticosteroid).  My dosage of both was 4x per day for the first postoperative week, 3x per day for the second, 2x per day for the third, and once a day at bedtime for the fourth week.

Since Nevanac is an NSAID, I think of it as "ibuprofin for the eyes".  I had no difficulties with it.  The online info I've seen indicates it usually is used for 14 days after cataract surgery, but I don't believe extending that for a longer period will typically cause problems.

I think some opththalmologists ask their patients to continue on Nevenac after discontinuance of prednisolone, since prolonged use of prednisolone is usually not desirable.  Both drugs are used to treat postoperative redness and inflammation.
Nevanac can help decrease the leakage from the ERM and potentially improve vision.  I have seen patient's ERM improve to the point where surgery is not longer indicated.  (I use Xibrom or the new formulation of it, Bromday).  

Dr. O.

Thank you so much for sharing your prescription schedule...I like how it was tapered off and will run that by my Doctor.  Is it important to taper off the prednisolone steroid just like it is recommended when going off regular steriods?
Dear D/ O;
What does decreasing the leakage from the ERM mean ?

I have a thick ERM covering my macula and NOT causing distortion but is causing blank spots in my vision (I.E. I can see the peoples heads on TV, but not the eyes or noses)
Perhaps I should try Nevanac for a period of time BEFORE I do this surgery ???
Still time to cancel surgery, what do you think ????
You should discuss this with your surgeon.  I do not know your vision, status of your cataract, OCT of the macular, and the flourescein angiogram.

Dr. O.
The surgeon never brought up any other options other than surgery.

I'm a healthy 56 yr. old and  don't have cataracts.  Retina Sp. didn't do a flourescein angiogram so he wasn't concerned about that problem.  
The ERM is just thick and in front of the macula which has the thickess on the OCT as "302 microns at A-scan"  .  
Previous OCT at a different Dr. office 5 weeks prior showed the center of the circle with the ILM-RPE thickness to be 525.  Does that show improvement ?

Anyways, does the Navanac help at all with just a Macular pucker and no tears or holes or retina detachments?