Eye Care Community
Nevus in Eye-Should I be worried? HELP!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have been having headaches and pain around my left eye, as well as sometimes it takes a minute for an image to catch up that is moving, like my hand.  It is like I have a ghost image that will catch up when I move it.  I went to an optometrist yesterday, and my vision is 20/25 so he recommeneded reading glasses and since I have not been seen by an eye doc for at least 10 years he dialated my eyes.  When he looked at them what he said would take 30 seconds took 5 minutes.  He said I have a nevus in each eye, but the one in my left eye is much bigger.  I asked him what that meant and he said it was like a freckle, but it needs to be watched closely because it can become a tumor?  And that he does not know if it is normal for my eye because he has no other point of reference but the one in my left eye is much bigger.  Then he asked his receptionist to see if I have medical doctor eye coverage.

Considering my symptoms I have been having is this something I need to be concerned about or get checked out immediately by an eye MD?  I am really anxious over this and any help is appreciated.
You would have been far better off and probably saved money by going to a real MD eye ophthalmologist instead of a non-MD optometrist.

You need to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist ASAP for a diagnosis. Just like spots on the skin some are harmless and small, some need to be watched and a very small number can be malignant melanomas.

JCH MD