Eye Care Expert Forum
New Floaters 6 Months After Crystalens Cataract Surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am 51 and had a Crystalens HD implanted in one eye 6 months ago.  My results are slightly disappointing because it is plano and tests 20/13 distance, yet my distance vision in that eye is blurry unless I squint hard.  But that's beside the point.

A few days ago, I started to see strange floaters: like 50 small black dots (out of, say, a possible 10,000,000 spaces available in my filed of vision).  At times, I thought some of the dots were small gnats flying around.  The dots went away after a couple of days and I ended up with a new floater more like my old floaters.  (I've had floaters all my life in both eyes--I thought everyone had them until I researched cataracts at age 50.)

The new floater, like my old ones, is stringy with a spermatoid head.  The difference is that the new floater floats around a small area in the center of my vision, while my old floaters float freely in my whole field of vision.  Because I can't move the new one out of the way much, it obstructs my vision a lot more than my old ones.

Any idea what this new floater is about?  Anything to worry regarding future developments?
Getting right to the point, you are experiencing new floaters and should see your ophthalmologist to have a retinal exam since this can be a symptom of a vitreous detachment or a retinal tear or detachement.  People often get degeneration of the vitreous and floaters when they get older, and after cataract surgery and laser surgery.  I suspect you meet these criteria.  Just have a retinal exam to make sure everything is ok.

MJK MD
Forgot to mention:  I had two YAG Capsulotomies on the eye in October.  Two because the first was conservative and I hoped a follow-up would resolve the blurriness at distance.
New floater formed is in posterior chamber of eye, which is characterized by specific location in vision field

I have one like that and its always noticeable unlike other kind of floater's.
Forgot to mention, mine too bit like spermatoid head shape and it changes shape depending on eye accommodation.

I have made a rough sketch of that floater using paint,click the below link to see it

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3795/floater.jpg

I am seeing this for 1 year now, & its shape or position have not changed so far.
wikipedia has a nice article on floaters, and it notes that many of them are unchanging and last a lifetime.  Reassuring, huh?
Thank you.
You were exactly right.  Everything was fine.  But I was very glad to get the peace of mind and explanation from my doctor.

Thanks again.
Dear mmmmpppp,

I would recommend that you seek the care of yoru eyeMD and have your eyes examined because your floaters have changed.  Additionally, although you see well at distance, it is possible that you may have a prescription of the eye. This might be better detected with a cycloplegic refraction, or a manifest refraction after your eyes have been dilated.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Thanks!  I did see my doctor about the floaters and he said that all is well.

Are you saying that there might be some remedy for my blurry distance vision even though I test 20/13 and plano?

If I hold up a .5 D lens, I see distance sharply but lose all my near vision.  My doctor said that the lens creates a telescopic effect as opposed to a correction.
I had restore lens placed in both eyes, one 3 months ago, one four. I have never had a floater in my life.  Yesterday, while screaming at  dog, and tugging him out of the car, a shower of floaters appeared.  They are hairy looking, black spidery shapes.  As the day went on they settled a bit, but after a good nights sleep I still have them in my right eye. Not as all encompassing, but settled in one place.   I am at a remote cabin... should I get to a doctor right away, or am I okay to simply check my eyes in a few days when I return to the city?  My retinal check pre-0p was good, have been working on my close vision.... still waiting for my brain to kick in completelyKH
I am pretty sure the answer is RIGHT AWAY!  I wish they had notified me of your post before just now.

In case you couldn't tell before you posted, the doctor is not looking at this thread anymore.