Eye Care Community
New Myopia treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

New Myopia treatment

A while back (2008) a few members posted some information on new eye care treatment for Myopia that was trialled in Denmark. I just wanted to know if any of those members got to use the drug and how it is going for them?

I am going to the Moorefields hospital in London next week to have our first meeting with a consultant. I want to discuss this drug amongst other things. Its for my son who was diagnosed at 12 months as being myopic in one eye -25, the other eye is perfect. He is wearing a contact lens that seems to have had a positive effect on the squint in his eye. He is now 2.5 years old. Patching is not an option (tried it and he tore it off) don't think it would be of any benefit to his sight. If anyone has any information that may help with my consultation next week that would be great. I hate walking away from these places saying that we should have asked this and that. I've written out my notes and his progress to date. Any help would be good especially around the new drug.

No drops have yet to be approved to halt the progression of myopia. Several are in trial and atropine has been used off and on with bifocals for over 50 years without a firm conclusion if its helpful

JCH MD
Some time back I posted a number of reference to studies published on the drops for myopia. You should be able to find them using the archives and search feature.

JCJMD