Eye Care Community
New Tecnis multifocal IOL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

New Tecnis multifocal IOL

Does anyone have any idea how the newly approved Tecnis multifocal IOL will compare with Crystalens or ReStor IOLs?  
I would wait 6 to 9 months.  It is a diffractive bifocal IOL like the ReStor.  However,  unlike the ReStor,  it has rings through out the lens and I do not know if it is aspheric.
I've had Tecnis multifocal IOLs implanted for a little over two years.  As Dr. Oyakawa said the lens has (32 diffractive) rings throughout all 6 mm diameter instead of just the first 3.6 mm for the ReSTOR.  Both factors help IMHO greatly with issues in low light.  The same pitfalls regarding halos, ghosting and neuroadaptation time apply.  Otherwise I would (personally) choose the Tecnis multifocal over the ReSTOR multifocal IOL.

I'm not sure how long this link will last.  It's for a 4 pg brochure comparing Tecnis and ReSTOR multifocals:
promotoraamericana.com/Documents/REF-1187_TecMFBrov_6%201%2006_RR8%20(2).pdf

Crystalens works differently than the Tecnis or ReSTOR multifocals.  It is accommodative, meaning the lens will actually flex to focus using the eye's natural muscle.  It take some time to learn to control the lens -- I believe 6+ months -- but gives a more 'natural' type of vision.  The Crystalens HD was released recently on the US market.  So far response is favourable.  Another accommodative lens available in Europe and Canada is the Tetraflex.  There is very little feedback on this one.  However most seems very positive.

One other main difference (not discussing monovision) is that a multifocal lens seems to be actually a bifocal lens.  It focus both distant and near light on the retina simultaneously.  The brain decides which signal to see.  Multifocal IOLs tend to have poor mid-vision (18" to 48" depending on the lens).  I've had to change the way I do a few things, but have adjusted.

The accommodative lens, while giving more natural vision, is really also a 'two zone' lens.  It is good for distance and mid-vision.  Success at focusing at near items varies between patients.  Some report being able to read for a short time before the eyes tire.  Others cannot see close-up without reading glasses.  The new Crystalens HD is supposed to be better for near vision.

Had the newer technology been available when I had surgery I would have chosen an accommodative IOL.