Eye Care Community
New glasses give curved vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

New glasses give curved vision

About six months ago I went in to get my annual eye exam. I brought my updated prescription for my glasses (I also wear contacts) from my eye doctor to a local business to have my new lenses made. My prescription increased from about +2.75 to +3.25 in each eye.  When I got them back and wore them, I noticed that walls and hallways looked slightly curved - especially my peripheral vision. Things in front of me had a bit of a 3-d spherical effect popping out at me - like a fish bowl. This was really noticeable looking at my horizontal window blinds. As I would walk down a hallway the wall curvature would bend and change a bit. This lead to eyestrain and some nausea, although the prescription seemed correct because I could see very clearly.

I took them back to the business that sold me the glasses and they re-examined me in-house. They said that the axis needed to be adjusted. They did so and sold me another pair of glasses (I was charged again) and they gave me back the lenses that did not work the first time. This time the curvature was not as severe; however, I still notice curvature of walls and other things that should appear straight. When I wear them for long periods or do much walking in close proximity to surfaces, such as hallways and office cubes at work, I get a little nauseous from the motion of the changing curvature. This from someone who doesn't get motion sick!

I have never had this problem before in the 15 years I have worn glasses. What should I do? Is this poor milling of the lenses?  - Thanks - J
This happened to me when i got my new glasses a few years back.. the new ones had a correction for astigmatism and the old ones didnt'.  The Store suggested wearing them first for an hour, then the next day for 2 hours, the next day for four, and so on to get used to them. after a few weeks i was used to them and seeing better then if i put on my old glasses