Eye Care Expert Forum
New glasses made clouse things blurry and unreadable

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I'm a photographer and work with computers and now 40, I can see fine, but have trouble with text at distance (street signs). I went to the opto because my right eye could not read text for driver license renewal. Opto said I was nearsighted slightly left and more so on the right, no s/s of damage or anything in my eyes, no astigmatism. Got my new glasses, I can see text at distance now but, my watch, iphone and pocketbooks are blurry, I have to hold these things almost at arms length to read them. The opto mentioned that it could take a week for eyes to adjust, is this the case? I now have to remove my glasses to read my phone, food menues and such up close. So basically, will my eyes adjust or will i end up getting another prescription?
As one approaches 40 and older, a condition called presbyopia kicks in where one loses the ability to accomodate towards near objects (think of it as a zoom button for the eye).  Therefore if you wear glasses to correct for distance, you typically need your eye to provide the additional accommodation to focus on near objects.  Given your age, it is surprising that you don't have adequate reserves to accommodate (assuming your glasses are made correctly) so there may be some adjustment to the glasses but if you don't notice signs of improvement over the next few weeks, I would consider going back to verify the glasses were made properly or you could inquire about monovision (where one eye is corrected for distance and the other for near) or bifocal glasses.