Eye Care Community
New glasses one lense blurry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

New glasses one lense blurry

I recently received my first pair of progressive eye glasses.  I mentioned that my vision was blurry and was told that they take some time to get used.  For several days after, one of my eyes felt like it was straining and I was getting terrible headaches.  I went back to the office and they adjusted the glasses again.  I complained of the eye strain and headaches as well as things never really coming into focus, double vision and halos.  I explained about one evening while watching television with my glasses on, I closed one eye and it was perfectly clear, I closed the other, the one feeling strained, and everything was blurry.  I was again told that I would have to get used to it and that the eyes work together, so that I couldn't judge by the fact that the one lens was blurry.  (Throughout all of my calls and running to the office, I repeatedly asked to see the doctor but was feeling like I was continually being pushed out of the office.)

I went back a second time with all the same complaints, more adjustments were made and was told the same things.  When I returned home and took my glasses off for bed, I noticed how out of shape they were.  One arm bent up and other down.  I immediately called the office and said I wanted to see the doctor.  With all of the technology that went into measuring these glasses for me, I couldn't imagine that it took bending them that out of shape to make them 'work' for me.

One week later when I finally saw the doctor, he said that it was really bad timing but that my one eye had literally changed overnight...after staying exactly the same for over 10 years.  I have to mention that I had Lasik surgery over 11 years ago which he said could have something to do with this sudden change.  He has now ordered a new lens for me.  It should be a couple of days, and I'll have the glasses back.

Is this ever normal for one lens to be made to see clearly and the other lens to be made to see blurry?
Is one lens ever made for distance, while the other made for reading?  If so, isn't that what the progressive is for?
Is it possible for my vision, at this particular time when I'm getting glasses after so many years without, to have actually changed over night?

I have been seeing this doctor for most of my adult life and have always trusted him but I'm feeling very frustrated with many unanswered questions.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
I've worn progressive lenses for many years now.  It did take a few days to get used to them -- as you've probably discovered, things look a little distorted near the edges of the lenses and it's usually necessary to turn your head a little more in the direction you're looking.  But I never had the the type of experiences you're having.

Correcting one eye for distance and the other for near (reading) vision is sometimes done with contact lenses and with LASIK, but I'm not aware of it begin done with progressive eyeglasses.  I doubt if that was the intent  The purpose of progressive lenses, as you mention, is to enable you to see clearly at all distances.

As for the sudden change in your vision, all you can really do is trust your eye doctor, although I would be inclined to ask him whether it would be worth your while to see an ophthalmologist (eye MD) to see if something else caused the change.

Best of luck -- please post again and let us know how you made out.

To anyone that reads this if you have trouble with new glasses return to the optician that made them to be rechecked and if problem continues see the optom or Eye MD that wrote the RX. Most offices do not charge for a glasses recheck if the person returns in a timely fashion generallly less than 30 days, also opticals will generally remake lens one time within 30 days for comfort or clarity at no charge.

JCH MD
Thank you so much for your response.  I apologize for not having written back sooner but I'm still waiting for the call that my glasses are ready.  I will indeed ask him if he thinks the change is something I should be concerned about.  I will also be seeing my general practitioner in a few weeks and will mention to him.

Thanks again.  I'll keep in touch.
Well, I have my new glasses, picked them up 3/17 and they are 100% better.  I can see clearly and my headaches are subsiding.  I did inquire as to the sudden change in my vision and he see's no reason to be concerned.  I will pay close notice to any headaches and question my gp in a few weeks.

Again, thank you so much for your help.
I'm glad to hear everything worked out!