Eye Care Expert Forum
New prescription with prism

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

New prescription with prism
My new prescription called for a prism that I've never had before.  Got the glasses today and although they seem "ok", I noticed something odd.  It seems like if I close my rigth eye, that things are just a tad blurry in the left eye.  I told the optician who fitted my glasses and she said that with prisms I had to always use *both* eyes to see clearly.  Doesn't make sense to me.  It seems like the left lens should make things clear for the left eye and vice versa for the right eye.  

Also, I noticed that I can see more sharply through the top 1/4" of the left lens and less clearly as I look through the center of the lens.

Obviously I should go back to the optomatrist, but wonder what you think?
Dear phochief,

I would recommend that you try your glasses for about one week and go back and have them checked if these symptoms persist.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Thanks for the reply and answer.  I'm still wondering is it true that I have to use both eyes to see clearly?  It doesn't make sense that a lens would be unsharp if I have the other eye closed.  Shouldn't the lens be sharp even if I have have one eye closed?
Prisms suck in my opinion...to make a  long story short post 2006 surgery GAVE me constant double vision, I tried those prisms for a year and a half, I ended up patching one lens of some glasses & popping out the other lens, I have 20/20 vision but after 2nd surgery on June of 10 I'll remain with my funky glasses than those prisms that make you dizzy and nautious..... Good luck...