Eye Care Community
Night vision Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Night vision Problems

I have had lasik surgery for a perscription of -8.25 in both eyes to be corrected with significant astigmatism that was also corrected to a point where no perscriptive correction was needed. Alas, 5 years later, I developed cataracts .  When I had lens replacement surgery for cataracts then, the lens was overcorrected to +1.75 and +3.5 in either eye.  Next I had gone to do an exchange of these lenses.  I now have an additional piggyback lens in back of one of the original lenses that could not be exchanged and the other exchange was successful.  This was 2 years ago for this exchange.  I now have -.5 and -1.50 vision.  I can read without any problems.  Yet, I have horrific night vision that has remained since the exchange.  I am okay in the daytime , but my visibility post-op is so bad in the dark that I need my spouse to guide me in walking thru a darkened movie theatre.  Please help as I am really desperate for an answer.  I am now 48 years old.  Are there any options?  Is this a legitmate risk of these procedures?  Thank you.
Tags: night vision problems, night, vision, problems
Yes there are likely good options. You should have your cataract surgery have his/her BEST technician do a end point refraction and prescribe no-line bifocal lens. Ask your Eye MD if they can prescribe "wave-front glasses" like Zeiss I-script and if possible get them. they are more expensive but represent state of the art in reducing optical abberations. Also see if your eye MD will give you a trial of Alphagan-P to use at night to keep your pupil from dilating in the dark. Excellent chance this will take care of the problem or make it tolerable.

JCH MD