Eye Care Expert Forum
Non removal of silicone oil after vitrectomy

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had a vitrectomy with silicone oil for correcting what the doctor calls a" myopic macular hole " . As part of the procedure  , the doctor performed a cataract surgery in that eye and removed and replaced the lens with an artificial one . After 8 months I went for the removal of the oil and he says that the hole did not closed because of my severe myopic condition and  that I should consider non removal the oil , since the chances of improvement of my vision after the silicone oil removal are very slight .
Any recomendation ?
My recommendation is to get a 2nd opinion from another retina specialist. Macular holes can usually be closed with mild to moderate improvement in the vision.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.