Eye Care Expert Forum
Normal constriction, faster dilation

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Normal constriction, faster dilation

Over the past week I've noticed that my right eye is sometimes more dilated than my left eye. I brought a flashlight near it and it constricts normally, but slowly returns to being more dilated than the left one. I noticed that this happens in medium to low light. In bright light, both appear normal.

It seems like the muscles in my right eye are tired or weak. Is that possible? Is this just eye strain? I'm worried because of all the scary warnings associated with dilation but I'm uninsured and can't see a doc easily.
Dear pdxOpdx,

If you are concerned about a difference in pupil size between the two eyes, I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD. A proper diagnosis is recommended.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California