Eye Care Expert Forum
Occular Migraines

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Occular Migraines
I've started having occular migraines a few times a week, at age 57.  I see the effect in both eyes, which I am told is the "annoying but harmless" form of this.  But I wonder why this has suddenly started?  Should I be checked for some other conditions?  Is there a treatment?
Make sure you have seen an ophthlamologist/eye MD for this and had a full dilated eye exam.  If still concerned, you could then see a neuro-ophthalmologist for assessment and recommendations.

HV
I started getting these when I was 51. I was in hospital at the time,just been put on a anti-biotic drip,  so a few doctors and a pharmacist looked at me.  No one was really sure what triggered it, but I've had them every few months ever since.  I've tried to pin it down to some common factor, but there doesn't seem to be one.  Stress or my age is all I can think of!