Eye Care Community
Ocular herpes or pink eye?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Ocular herpes or pink eye?

I recently thought I scratched my eye but after a day or two it was still red and itchy with some mild pain. I also have significant mucous-like discharge and wake up with a matted eye. I went to an urgent care this weekend, was diagnosed with pink eye after a quick look with the light (no dye or tint) and prescribed Vigamox.

I have only had 4 doses of the Vigamox drops so far and I do think my eye is improving. However, I still have quite a bit of discharge and noticed a clear bump on my cornea this morning. (It seems to be gone now.)

I have HSV-1 and just had a bad lip outbreak (the only place I get cold sores) two weeks ago. I am extremely careful during an outbreak and wash my hands multiple times before handling my contacts. What are the changes I passed the HSV-1 to my own eye? I've had lip cold sores for many years.

Also, if it could be HSV-1, could I have passed it to my boyfriend? We had intercourse and oral sex this weekend, when I thought it was an eye injury and not pink eye or HSV-1.
I am not a big fan of urgent care centers for eye problems.

You might well have HSV-1 keratitis, only a slit lamp exam by an Eye MD can tell you for sure. I would try to see an eye MD tomorrow as a "work in" Find Eye MDs near you at www.aao.org

You are very unlikely to have passed HSV-1 to your boyfriend. As you probably know veneral infections, a form of STD, are due to HSV-2

JCH MD
I HAVE THE PINK-EYE NOW I HEAR A PERSON CAN HAVE HERPES OF THE EYE I HAVE ALL THE SYNDROMES BUT I NEVER EVER HAD HERPES OF THE EYE I ONLY HAD THE PINK-EYE BEFORE THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY JAW IS SWOLLEN AND VERY ITCHY WHAT CAN IT BE PLEASE HELP THANKS SINCERELY MS T.PAINN:(:(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
Back off the CAPS LOCK

Most "pink-eye" (not a diagnosis just a descriptive term) is not due to herpes. see an ophthalmologist. Only an in person exam can make a diagnosis

JCH MD