Eye Care Expert Forum
Omar Diaz eyeHELP!

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Omar Diaz eyeHELP!
I just recently had a racquetball accident, the ball basically hit me in the eye! 2 weeks later I started seeing flashes of light very small on the outside of my eyes. The doctor told me it was due to the fluid, I am guessing vitreous fluid. My question is being being that I am 33, and have never had a issues with my eyes what are my chances of having a retinal tear? PLEASE someone?
You should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, preferably a retina specialist, with a complete dilated exam including scleral depression, to be sure there is no retinal tear.  Just because you have never had an eye problem before, doesn't mean there is no serious injury now.  Also, these types of trauma can cause bleeding in the eye and even late-onset glaucoma.  See an ophthalmologist ASAP and wear protective eye guards when playing any racquet sports.

I saw a ophthalmologist and he told me that I had fluid, I am guessing he meant vitreous fluid, this explains why I was seeing lights he told me. He said he wanted to see me in two weeks again because the fluid detaching me create a tear? What are the chances of me having a tear two weeks later after I was checked by him?