One Tecnis Multifocal
I had one Tecnis multifocal implanted on 8-25-2010 plus a "yag" polishing two weeks ago.  I have not had the other eye done due to extensive problems with night vision - the worst enormus halos, starbursts, etc I have ever had in 55 years of wearing glasses, and all vision in the near range is totally blured making it impossible to read.  My doctor strongly recommended this lens to me and tells me that the near vision will get better if I have the second eye done.  I have not read anything to verify that and will not agree to a second implant until I get additional information.  I have no cataract in my other eye and can see almost perfectly with a corrective trifocal lens.

Will having a second multifocal implanted help with the near vision?  My concern is that if the results are the same as with the first eye it would be and end to my being able to function normally.  Thank you for your comments.
I can see entirely your reservations about the multifocal lens, that level of night vision disturbance is quite extreme I think.  What I find worrying is the blurred vision when reading especially as it has been tidied up with a laser.     My own experience is a week and a half ago I had a ?re-zoom multifocal lens implanted in my left eye.  The following day, despite a little discomfort and slight on and off blurring I could read the smallest writing given to me and it has continued to improve.  My right eye was done 2 days ago and the reading vision was not as quite as good but usable.  I dont expect it to improve drastically and expect to have it improved with a laser in the next 6-12 months. I can manage to then and the eye will be fully healed. I am disappointed it was not as good as the first eye, but my long sight is perfect, bar a little post op blurring at times, I have halos still around lights at night, but have been able to drive safely short distances - I expect these to improve.  I think my experience is far more the norm than yours .If I was you I would get a second opinion before proceeding as it is over 2 months since your surgery and you are having significant difficulties.
It would be helpful to have  some information such as distance and near uncorrected vision and the corrected distance and near vision.  If you are on target (astigmatism less than 0.50 D and near plano) your distance and near vision should be good. If on target you have another problem most likely a macular problem.  About 95% of patient on target and without macular problems will do well.  It may take up to six months.  About 5% will not adapt the the halos and glare. Bilateral IOL patients do better.  More patients will have problem is not on target.

I would suggest a second opinion.

Dr. O.