One bloodshot eye
About once or twice every two weeks, I have one eye that turns very bloodshot (many vessels in same eye).  While it does looks pretty bad, it tears slightly and does not hurt or cause blurred vision.  I have been to the optometrist for my yearly exam while this has happened and he didn't seem to think this was a big deal.  It concerns me now that I have found out that I have high blood pressure (130's over 90's).  I am 49 years old, male and otherwise healthy.  Could someone tell me the possible causes of this?
Some possible causes include everything that could cause both eyes to be red and include things like:  dry eye keratopathy, allergic conjuctivitis, thyroid eye disease, lid margin disease and blepharitis, lashes rubbing the eye, chronic sun damage and pinguecula, and many other possibilities.  Suggest you see ophthalmologist for a second opinion.

MJK MD