Eye Care Community
One eye higher then the other (pics inc)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hey guys lately I've noticed one of my eyes is higher then the other one from pictures! I'm 18 years of age (male) and couple of months ago I started noticing that I had slight double vision ONLY on things like white text on a black background I'd see a double over the top of the sentence etc.

I went got a full eye check done and they lady said I had no problems at all and she had no idea what could be causing this. So according to the eye doc my eyes are physically fine

HOWEVER!

The pictures are freaking me out!

Here is the link: http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5573/higherzr8.jpg

Any ideas fellas?

Thanks so much!
Pictures don't tell everything but looking at them your eyes look level in straight ahead gaze but  when looking to your left then the right eye looks higher. This is consistent with an over-acting right inferior oblique muscle. This is not an uncommon problem and rarely requires any surgery.

If your "eye doc" was not a MD physician (ophthalmologist) but was a limited scope, non-physician optometrist then I would schedule an examination with an ophthalmologist to confirm same. If you live in an area where a eye muscle specialist (strabismus-pediatric ophthalmologist) is available then see one of those.

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
Thank you for that and I will follow your advice and seek to see a specialist re: eye.

Is there anyway to correct the problem with the oblique muscle in my eye?

Thanks again

P.S what a valuable forum!
If it's not causing a problem you leave it alone (it usually is seen with horizontal or vertical misalignment of the eyes). If it was causing disabling double vision then there is a surgical procedure to weaken the muscle.

JCH III MD
Okay thank you very much for your help!

I will leave it alone since its not causing any problems.

:)

Hello John - question for you... my right eye ball is a little higher than my left eye ball.  Would you know is this is curable? my vision is 20/20 but I do feel a little crossed eyed here and there...
No there is no way to fix that problem, all the surgery is massive and not indicated if its been like that all your life.

Nevertheless see an Eye MD for an exam to discuss it and evaluate the cross eyed feeling.

Find an Eye MD near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
with an over-acting right inferior oblique muscle how would one see double??horizontal/ vertical ??  

Both but the verticle would be predominant and there could be fields of single vision. The worse deviation would be looking up and left.

JCH MD
Most people have asymmetrical faces. Many people have one eye higher or lower, if you look closely. Ears too.

I'm not a medical person, but I had to look quite a while at those photos to try to figure out what was freaking you out. Hope that helps.
-
I have the same problem where the right eye ball looks higher than the left. I was wondering if this is going to get worse over time? Also recently i've been getting eye pain and headaches on the right side of the head. could this pain related to the eye being higher than the left? Thanks.
WOW! you are so paranoid, i first noticed this after i had a surgery to get my eays put back because they stuck out so far. Then i noticed my right eye was slightly higher than my left. This freaked me out for the longest time and i thought this was caused from me smoking so much marijuana in the past hehe.  But then i took a closer look and almost everyone has one eye higher than the other, you can't tell my looking at the eyeball you have to look at the little red dot in the corners closest to your nose to notice. Its weird how practically every one that has asymmetrical faces has the right eye slightly higher than the left, aswell as the right ear slightly higher than the left. I never used to have the right eye higher than the left though, i first noticed it after i started having weird left eyelid spasms. Not bad enough that any one could see it, but when it happens its annoying, and ever since then its like i can feel my left eye ball drooping, see its not the right eye ball going up, its the left eye ball giving up and droping. Now that i noticed many people have it, i got over it. Don't let it get you down, and trust me, i looked at the photo's of your eyes, its the exact same as mine, and i don't see double, maybe your just paranoid? Like are you sure your seeing double?
I am writing a paper for my epq (english baccalauriate-I am from the UK) in which i am looking to physical beauty or attractiveness, and regarding the subconcious reaction to facial dystopia. I believe, from what I have found, the the left eye sitting slightly, and often not noticably, lowerd than the left eye is quite a common occurence and ussually does not cause any problems? Would it be possible for you to briefly confirm this and, if there are any explntation, briefly outline them to me. Thank-you very much.
Niamh
I was concerned about my 19 yo son. Since puberty his right eye has seem lower and lower as the years progress. Now when looking at him face on, his right eye is a half in lower than the left and tilts slightly downward. His right ear is a full inch lower than his left. You can even notice his jawline and right nare are lower as well. His head is straight. He was reasonably symetrical before around age 15. Should I have him checked out or is he just an FLK
Thank you
Diane
i also have one eye higher than the other . im just 12 years old everyone in school asks me whats wrong with your eyes i am sick of all these questions please help what can i do
im 20 years old and my right eye is higher than the other. I always thought it was because I kept rubbing my right eye almost all the time when I was young. Could the eye have moved up, due to this?
I found this thread because I'm experiencing the same issue of one eye being noticeably lower.  ...only I think my problem might be a bit different than the others.

I don't think I've had the problem my whole life and I've only started to receive comments about it within the last year.  I do have a history of eye trauma (boxing and rugby) so originally thought that might have something to do with it.  I was surprised when my optometrist told me that there is swelling above the eye that seems to have dropped but none in the other. (determined by flipping my eyelid and examining)

Any idea what might cause one eye to swell (permanently) but not the other? I've stopped wearing contacts so I don't think that's it.  Seems like any type of allergy would cause both eyes to be irritated.  Right?

The eye Doc prescribed Pataday but it's insanely expensive and not covered by my insurance.  ...haven't noticed a change with using it anyway.

thanks

hi guys,
im 20 and i’ve noticed 7 years ago in my picture that my left eye is higher and smaller than the right eye

i didnt think it was a big problem back then cause no one noticed it but me !

now the left eye is always red and i think it got worse !

i also had a preoblem in my jaw as you will notice in the picture but i had an apointment with a doctor soon ..

can my jaw problem causing this to my eyes ? and what do you advice me to do im depressed  :(

this is the picture : http://www12.0zz0.com/2013/10/13/14/270579161.jpg
So my fiance has a eye problem when she speaks I notice that one eye gets bigger than the other and she happens to get a slur when she's talking.