Eye Care Community
One eye sticks out more than the other

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

One eye sticks out more than the other

Over the past few days I have noticed that my left eye seems to stick out more than my right eye.  When I close my eyelids, I can feel the difference between the two.  Also I can tell in the mirror that one eye looks smaller than the other.  I started looking through pictures and noticed the same in my pictures.  Unfortunately I do not have any of the pictures of when I was younger.  The oldest pictures I have were back in 2003 and I noticed the same difference in my eyes.  No one has ever noticed or said anything but I did just send a picture to someone and they said that one eye looks as if it were swollen...as if I were hit in the eye or something.  I have never had a problem with my vision and don't have one now.  Is this something that is normal (maybe an asymmetrical face) or is this a bigger problem? Please help.  I'm really nervous.
You can have your eyes checked by a md eye doctor, or opthalmologist, to be sure that you are ok. Find one at aao.org.

I hope all is fine.
This could be a serious problem related to things as diverse as thyroid disease, eye lid problems or tumor in the socket. See an Eye MD ophthalmologist ASAP. Find one at www.aao.org   Take some old photos to show how you've changed.

JCH III MD