Eye Care Community
Opacity in a ring around lense "Christmas Tree Cataract"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Went to opthamologist today, all fine but she did find something unusual.  That when she dilated the pupil (and used 2 sorts of drops) she could see dots/opacity that appeared TURQUOISE in colour, at the perimeter of my lenses in both eyes.   She didn't know name for it but said it was something like a "christmas tree cataract" but not that...These opacities didn't appear in the center of the eye and have no effect on my sight.   I have no problems seeing.  But she doesn't know what this is.    She asked about any drugs I may have been on for childhood diseases...  The only drug I have taken iin years past that might do something to eyesight is Paludrine, an antimalarial, which I was on briefly (less than 2 weeks) as a young adult (I'm 48 now).

This is the 2nd opthamologist in 5 years who has said this to me, or at least mentioned it.  One fellow said it was "beautiful" and shows up as a striking turquoise colour, and nothing to worry about.  That's nice, but has anyone any idea what this is?????

I can't see anything by looking in the mirror.  
There are certain associations with "Christmas tree cataracts."  You can Google it.  I have seen these in patients and they had no associated medical problems.

Dr. O.