Eye Care Community
Optic Nerve-Different Sizes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Optic Nerve-Different Sizes

I recently had an eye exam and the Dr told me that one of my Optic nerves is smaller than the other.  I have never been told that before, so I'm concerned.  She said I'm no longer nearsighted but farsighted but the it's not bad enough to warrant glasses.  Still she gave me eye drops for my dry eyes and is having me come back in a month for more vision testing and to check my "dry eyes".  Which I thought was weird, since I have never had to return to the eye doctor in such a short period of time.  What could possibly be wrong?
If you have seen this "doctor" before and different optic nerve sizes is new then that is a source of concern and you should see a neuroophthalmologist. Find one near you at www.aao.org

On the other hand if this is a "new" doctor then its possible that he/she is wrong or that there has been a size difference all your life. This is especially true if one eye is farsighted which causes small optic nerves and the other is myopic which causes larger optic nerves.

Yes it is weird to ask you to come back in a month. Maybe see a ophthalmologist for a second opinion.

JCH MD
I went to the eye dr. yesterday as well (one I had never seen before) and she told me that my right optic nerve was bigger than my left.
My vision in my right eye has always been worse than my left.
I also have Meniere's Disease (uni-laterally, and it happens to be on the right side). I had gentamician injections to treat that, which comes along with a huge list of side effects. It made me wonder whether any of these things were related.

I asked the dr. what that meant and she didn't give me a straight answer.

I have searched the literature in the database at the university I attend, but can't find anything to my question.
Anyone have an ideas/hypotheses/answers?
-