Eye Care Community
Optic Nerve damage after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Optic Nerve damage after surgery

I recently underwent 4 operations (sceral buckle,2 gas bubbles & vitreoretinal op) to correct a detached retina which occured out of the blue last year. After my last operation (4th one) I noticed a massive blind spot in the eye which had been operated on. I had it checked out and was found to have quite severe optic nerve damage. My every day life has become hindered as it is difficult to see and I would like to know if this can cause any other problems as I have heard it could lead to other problems in other areas of the body?
It will not affect any other part of your body and this type of problem is common in the severe problems you have in the eye
'
JCH III MD
I too have optic nerve damage after surgery for a detached retina.  I have lost all central vision in my right eye.  This happened in September and I am still having a lot of trouble adjusting to my poor vision. My vision is very distorted now when both eyes are open, and my depth perception is not good at all.  Ironically, before this happened I wore glasses for driving and reading glasses, but my vision was not very bad.  How are you coping?  Are you using an eye patch?
---------------------
I also have developed optic nerve damage after retinal surgery.  2 retinal tear surgeries w/gas bubble, 1 with Silicone Oil, 1 to remove oil.  Everything was fine until the surgery to remove the oil. From that point on I have had a blind spot in my central vision.  My Retinal Surgeon had no explanation. My regular opthamologist said my optic nerve had "paled" but didn't understand how it happened so rapidly.  No body seems to have an answer,  In the meantime I can't trust my vision due to both distortion and lack of depth perception.  Right now waiting to see a Neural Opthamologist.  Not to fix of course, but to make sure the problem is limited to my "bad" (right) eye.
---------------------
Again, I'm with you.  I had buckle with vitrectomy and oil.  No explanation, but apparently I have lost half of eyesight in my left eye while the other half would be returning to where I was before the detachment.  I'm not sure how to cope with this yet or why this happened, but keep me updated if anyone knows how this can happen.  Thanks
-----------------
I live in london, I have suffered with my left eye since the age of five. Due to an accident at this age, it caused my left eye to turn inwards. I have had 3 eye op's one at 8yrs, 14yrs and 26yrs to correct this. I am now 49. But at the age of 37 i was a passenger in a taxi when joy riders went into the back of it. not long after i started seeing double. At 42 i had surgery to try and correct it, did not work, i have also had Botox in my left eye which also never worked. At 45yrs i was told there was nothing they could do, apart from cover the left eye or opperate on tmy good eye, of course i declined. So at the age of 49yrs not only do i have pernament Diplopia, i am also in alot of pain with my left eye. constant headaches, and the corner of my left eye is really sore and what it looks like to me is loads of broken blood vessels, which looks very unsightly. I am long sighted and wear glasses, i also have prism in my left lens which is quite high it is 10. Please dont say its age i dont accept that. I am desperate to get some real answers.