Eye Care Community
Optic Nerve

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Optic Nerve

Dear Sir
As per our Doctor report my left eye optic nerves has been 48% damaged and also effected glucoma and cataracts.
Can Possible for recover optic nerves damage ?
Is it possible for me  to seen good view with above problem?
I'm sorry but there is too little information and too much speculation to give a meaningful answer to your post.

JCH MD
Kindly give your mail address for providing copy of eye test Reports My mail address is ***@****
Forum rules dictate that we cannot correspond with individuals by email, phone, fax or review medical tests, etc.  Even if were were willing to do it the risk of a lawsuit in the trial lawyer run-amok USA is too great to take.

JCH MD
Dear Sir

I am Rohtash Kumar Agrawal, residing in Raipur, (C. G.). I want to here to consult with you any respect of my eye disease.

Before four year ago I went to eye specialist for routine check-up of my, in this check-up see found my left eye affect with the cataract and suggested me eye surgery to remove cataract disease, due to hectic schedule of my work I delayed the surgery for three year. Last week I went to hospital for eye surgery to remove cataract, the eye specialist check my eye before going to surgery and he diagnosis in his check up that my left eye affected with cataract and glaucoma and also diagnosis my optic nerve has been damage up to 48% in left eye and 29% in right eye.

The eye specialist on above diagnosis counseled me that the present available treatment we will unable to recover the damaged optic nerve, only we prevent to further damage. After said counsel he prescribed me an eye drop “Combigan”(brimonidine, timolol) for 10 days to control the Glaucoma and thereafter may be surgery for cataract if Glaucoma is control through eye drop.

Kindly counsel me in following point on basis of my reports.

1.Can it be possible for me to see clearly every thing with 48% & 29% damaged optic nerve?
2.Can it be possible through the treatment (at your Hospital or any places) my damage optic nerve will be recovered?
3.If recover of damage optic nerve not possible through treatment than suggest me what is the best treatment to prevent optic nerve from further damage?
4.Can it be possible to remove the Glaucoma permanently through treatment?

Please take the my case at your convenience and suggest me

1. Yes, you may not notice the damage to the optic nerve for several reasons. First glaucoma damages side or peripheral vision not central vision. Central vision is what you use to read, drive, use a computer and recognize faces. Side vision is just that to see things in the periphery. The side vision has many interconnections so that if parts are damaged other parts pick up the slack.   The important thing is to keep from losing the remaining optic nerve. You will need to under the CLOSE care of an ophthalmologist the rest of your life and your eyes checked for progression of the glaucoma every 4-6 months. (Your blood family members should know you have glaucoma and they should see an ophthalmologist since the chances of them getting glaucoma are higher than normal).
2. As I said above the damaged nerve cannot be restored but you can concentrate on keeping it from progession. 50% damage to the optic nerve does NOT mean that you will only see half normal. Also cataract surgery generally helps control glaucoma and eye surgeons are doing cataract surgery earlier in glaucoma patients.
3. Glaucoma is treated with 4 types of drosp: beta blockers (which I dislike and use last), bromonidine, prostaglandin analogs and carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. Also laster treatment (newest is cold laser Yag frequency doubled nanosecond selective trabeculoplasty) and lastly glaucoma filtering surgery.
4. No it can only be controled not cured (one type of glaucoma can be cured and that is angle closure glaucoma)

JCH MD
Dear Sir

Thanks for your valuable reply

Only my left eye is affected with Glaucoma, so what is reason for 29% damage of optic nerve in right eye?

We read about Stem Cell treatment in china to produce, in which stem cell would be recovered?

Certain nutrients such as Fish Oil, MSM Eyedrops, Serraflazyme and other nutrients may help recovery from Optic Neuritis and preserve vision. Some research indicates that daily use of Microcurrent Stimulation may help preserve vision as well?

On the basis of above please guide us which is the best treatment for me?

Thanks & Regards
Rohtash Agrawal
Dear Sir

In my previous post, I wrongly mentioned the Stem Cell Query, corrected query is:
I read about stem treatment in China to recover damaged Optic Nerve.

Kindly guide us stem treatment is effective for me to recover my damage Optic Nerve or
it is possible to see clearly with 50% damage optic nerve

thanks & regards
Rohtash Agrawal
Many disease are assymetric for instance although peoples joints are all the same age one often wears out while the other is okay.

None of the therapies you mention will help glaucoma.

Stem cell therapy in China is not generally recognized as valid because its not published in world class peer reviewed mediccal journals and has caused individuals to go there spend huge sums of money and leave poor and unhelped.

JCH MD
Dear Sir

Thanks for earlier reply

Sorry but I am unable to understand your reply  : “Many diseases are assymetric for instance although peoples joints are all the same age one often wears out while the other is okay”

Kindly answer my following queries

“Certain nutrients such as Fish Oil, MSM Eyedrops, Serraflazyme and other nutrients may help recovery from Optic Neuritis and preserve vision. Some research indicates that daily use of Microcurrent Stimulation may help preserve vision as well” .

above treatment help me to control Glaucoma

Thanks & Regards
Rohtash Agrawal
1. Paired body parts (eyes, hips, knees, kidneys) are not always equally affected by age and disease.
2. None of those things will help glaucoma or restore the damaged nerve.
JCH MD